Analysts are expecting the company's earnings and revenue to grow year-over-year.
For the latest quarter, analysts are expecting the company to post earnings of 76 cents a share on revenue of $585.32 million.
In the same period the previous year, the company posted earnings of 75 cents a share on revenue of $536.1 million.
This healthcare real estate investment trust is expected to benefit from its diversified portfolio, rising healthcare spending and a growing aging population, according to Zacks Equity Research.
HCP is an independent hybrid real estate investment trust.
Separately, TheStreet Ratings team rates HCP INC as a Hold with a ratings score of C. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate HCP INC (HCP) a HOLD. The primary factors that have impacted our rating are mixed, some indicating strength, some showing weaknesses, with little evidence to justify the expectation of either a positive or negative performance for this stock relative to most other stocks. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, reasonable valuation levels and expanding profit margins. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including a generally disappointing performance in the stock itself, deteriorating net income and disappointing return on equity."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- HCP's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 6.6%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 14.7%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- The gross profit margin for HCP INC is rather high; currently it is at 56.55%. Regardless of HCP's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, HCP's net profit margin of -38.53% significantly underperformed when compared to the industry average.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 192.9% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $259.11 million to -$240.61 million.
- The company's current return on equity has slightly decreased from the same quarter one year prior. This implies a minor weakness in the organization. When compared to other companies in the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) industry and the overall market, HCP INC's return on equity is below that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: HCP Ratings Report