While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends which could subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 3 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Hold."TAL International Group Dividend Yield: 12.50% TAL International Group (NYSE: TAL) shares currently have a dividend yield of 12.50%. TAL International Group, Inc., together with its subsidiaries, leases intermodal transportation equipment and provides maritime container management services worldwide. The company operates in two segments, Equipment Leasing and Equipment Trading. The company has a P/E ratio of 6.54. The average volume for TAL International Group has been 292,200 shares per day over the past 30 days. TAL International Group has a market cap of $763.2 million and is part of the diversified services industry. Shares are down 54.6% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Friday. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: See inside Jim Cramer's multi-million dollar charitable trust portfolio to see the stocks he thinks could be potential winners. Click here to see his holdings for 14-days FREE. TheStreet Ratings rates TAL International Group as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, attractive valuation levels and expanding profit margins. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including feeble growth in the company's earnings per share, deteriorating net income and generally higher debt management risk. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- Despite its growing revenue, the company underperformed as compared with the industry average of 4.5%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 2.3%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- Net operating cash flow has slightly increased to $111.89 million or 7.81% when compared to the same quarter last year. Despite an increase in cash flow, TAL INTERNATIONAL GROUP INC's cash flow growth rate is still lower than the industry average growth rate of 40.15%.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed compared to the Trading Companies & Distributors industry average, but is greater than that of the S&P 500. The net income has decreased by 9.2% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, dropping from $29.36 million to $26.67 million.
- The debt-to-equity ratio is very high at 4.77 and currently higher than the industry average, implying increased risk associated with the management of debt levels within the company.
- You can view the full TAL International Group Ratings Report.
- UMH's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 6.6%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 11.2%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has greatly exceeded that of the S&P 500, but is less than that of the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) industry average. The net income increased by 26.6% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $0.57 million to $0.72 million.
- In its most recent trading session, UMH has closed at a price level that was not very different from its closing price of one year earlier. This is probably due to its weak earnings growth as well as other mixed factors. The fact that the stock is now selling for less than others in its industry in relation to its current earnings is not reason enough to justify a buy rating at this time.
- The gross profit margin for UMH PROPERTIES INC is rather low; currently it is at 18.88%. Regardless of UMH's low profit margin, it has managed to increase from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, UMH's net profit margin of 3.59% is significantly lower than the industry average.
- You can view the full UMH Properties Ratings Report.
- The gross profit margin for HERCULES TECH GROWTH CAP INC is currently very high, coming in at 79.95%. Regardless of HTGC's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, HTGC's net profit margin of 67.45% significantly outperformed against the industry.
- HTGC, with its decline in revenue, underperformed when compared the industry average of 5.0%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 9.2%. The declining revenue appears to have seeped down to the company's bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- The change in net income from the same quarter one year ago has exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Capital Markets industry average. The net income has decreased by 1.2% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, dropping from $22.19 million to $21.92 million.
- HERCULES TECH GROWTH CAP INC's earnings per share declined by 5.7% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. Earnings per share have declined over the last year. We anticipate that this should continue in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, HERCULES TECH GROWTH CAP INC reported lower earnings of $1.10 versus $1.62 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 10.9% in earnings ($0.98 versus $1.10).
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to -$114.06 million or 418.17% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.
- You can view the full Hercules Technology Growth Capital Ratings Report.
- Our dividend calendar.