While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends which could subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 3 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Sell."BG Staffing Dividend Yield: 8.20% BG Staffing (AMEX: BGSF) shares currently have a dividend yield of 8.20%. BG Staffing, Inc. operates as a temporary staffing company in the United States. It operates through three segments: Light Industrial, Multifamily, and IT Staffing. The company has a P/E ratio of 58.24. The average volume for BG Staffing has been 2,100 shares per day over the past 30 days. BG Staffing has a market cap of $88.6 million and is part of the diversified services industry. Shares are down 5.9% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Monday. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: See inside Jim Cramer's multi-million dollar charitable trust portfolio to see the stocks he thinks could be potential winners. Click here to see his holdings for 14-days FREE. TheStreet Ratings rates BG Staffing as a sell. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its weak operating cash flow, generally high debt management risk and poor profit margins. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- Net operating cash flow has decreased to $2.22 million or 22.00% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing the cash generation rate to the industry average, the firm's growth is significantly lower.
- Currently the debt-to-equity ratio of 1.81 is quite high overall and when compared to the industry average, suggesting that the current management of debt levels should be re-evaluated. Regardless of the company's weak debt-to-equity ratio, BGSF has managed to keep a strong quick ratio of 1.66, which demonstrates the ability to cover short-term cash needs.
- The gross profit margin for BG STAFFING INC is rather low; currently it is at 20.40%. Regardless of BGSF's low profit margin, it has managed to increase from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 0.40% trails the industry average.
- In comparison to the other companies in the Professional Services industry and the overall market, BG STAFFING INC's return on equity is significantly below that of the industry average and is below that of the S&P 500.
- BG STAFFING INC reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago.
- You can view the full BG Staffing Ratings Report.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 334.6% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $7.34 million to -$17.23 million.
- The debt-to-equity ratio is very high at 3.97 and currently higher than the industry average, implying increased risk associated with the management of debt levels within the company. To add to this, TOO has a quick ratio of 0.60, this demonstrates the lack of ability of the company to cover short-term liquidity needs.
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry and the overall market, TEEKAY OFFSHORE PARTNERS LP's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- Despite any intermediate fluctuations, we have only bad news to report on this stock's performance over the last year: it has tumbled by 51.53%, worse than the S&P 500's performance. Consistent with the plunge in the stock price, the company's earnings per share are down 2700.00% compared to the year-earlier quarter. Turning toward the future, the fact that the stock has come down in price over the past year should not necessarily be interpreted as a negative; it could be one of the factors that may help make the stock attractive down the road. Right now, however, we believe that it is too soon to buy.
- TEEKAY OFFSHORE PARTNERS LP has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. The company has reported a trend of declining earnings per share over the past two years. However, the consensus estimate suggests that this trend should reverse in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, TEEKAY OFFSHORE PARTNERS LP swung to a loss, reporting -$0.22 versus $0.94 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.16 versus -$0.22).
- You can view the full Teekay Offshore Partners Ratings Report.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to $1.22 million or 81.07% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.
- EARN has underperformed the S&P 500 Index, declining 15.45% from its price level of one year ago. The fact that the stock is now selling for less than others in its industry in relation to its current earnings is not reason enough to justify a buy rating at this time.
- The company's current return on equity greatly increased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of significant strength within the corporation. When compared to other companies in the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) industry and the overall market, ELLINGTON RESIDENTIAL MTG's return on equity is below that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- EARN, with its decline in revenue, underperformed when compared the industry average of 8.9%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues fell by 14.0%. The declining revenue has not hurt the company's bottom line, with increasing earnings per share.
- The gross profit margin for ELLINGTON RESIDENTIAL MTG is currently very high, coming in at 86.23%. Regardless of EARN's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, EARN's net profit margin of 35.76% compares favorably to the industry average.
- You can view the full Ellington Residential Mortgage REIT Ratings Report.
- Our dividend calendar.