While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends which could subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 3 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Hold."Regal Entertainment Group Dividend Yield: 4.20% Regal Entertainment Group (NYSE: RGC) shares currently have a dividend yield of 4.20%. Regal Entertainment Group, through its subsidiaries, operates as a motion picture exhibitor in the United States. It develops, acquires, and operates multi-screen theatres primarily in mid-sized metropolitan markets and suburban growth areas of larger metropolitan markets. The company has a P/E ratio of 24.89. The average volume for Regal Entertainment Group has been 841,300 shares per day over the past 30 days. Regal Entertainment Group has a market cap of $2.8 billion and is part of the media industry. Shares are down 2.6% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Wednesday. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: See inside Jim Cramer's multi-million dollar charitable trust portfolio to see the stocks he thinks could be potential winners. Click here to see his holdings for 14-days FREE. TheStreet Ratings rates Regal Entertainment Group as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its increase in net income and growth in earnings per share. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including poor profit margins, weak operating cash flow and relatively poor performance when compared with the S&P 500 during the past year. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Media industry. The net income increased by 2025.0% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from -$1.20 million to $23.10 million.
- REGAL ENTERTAINMENT GROUP reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, REGAL ENTERTAINMENT GROUP reported lower earnings of $0.68 versus $1.00 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.18 versus $0.68).
- RGC, with its decline in revenue, slightly underperformed the industry average of 4.0%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 4.9%. The declining revenue has not hurt the company's bottom line, with increasing earnings per share.
- The gross profit margin for REGAL ENTERTAINMENT GROUP is rather low; currently it is at 18.10%. It has decreased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 3.34% trails that of the industry average.
- Net operating cash flow has decreased to $101.90 million or 20.39% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing the cash generation rate to the industry average, the firm's growth is significantly lower.
- You can view the full Regal Entertainment Group Ratings Report.
- DHT's very impressive revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 38.7%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues leaped by 290.3%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- The debt-to-equity ratio is somewhat low, currently at 0.94, and is less than that of the industry average, implying that there has been a relatively successful effort in the management of debt levels. Along with this, the company maintains a quick ratio of 3.47, which clearly demonstrates the ability to cover short-term cash needs.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly increased by 323.83% to $42.77 million when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, DHT HOLDINGS INC has also vastly surpassed the industry average cash flow growth rate of -53.17%.
- Current return on equity exceeded its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a clear sign of strength within the company. In comparison to the other companies in the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry and the overall market, DHT HOLDINGS INC's return on equity is significantly below that of the industry average and is below that of the S&P 500.
- You can view the full DHT Holdings Ratings Report.
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry and the overall market, ONEOK INC's return on equity significantly exceeds that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- OKE, with its decline in revenue, slightly underperformed the industry average of 38.7%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues fell by 42.9%. Weakness in the company's revenue seems to have hurt the bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- ONEOK INC's earnings per share declined by 34.1% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. We feel it is likely to report a decline in earnings in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, ONEOK INC increased its bottom line by earning $1.53 versus $1.33 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 4.6% in earnings ($1.46 versus $1.53).
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to $39.27 million or 91.99% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing the cash generation rate to the industry average, the firm's growth is significantly lower.
- Despite any intermediate fluctuations, we have only bad news to report on this stock's performance over the last year: it has tumbled by 42.21%, worse than the S&P 500's performance. Consistent with the plunge in the stock price, the company's earnings per share are down 34.09% compared to the year-earlier quarter. Although its share price is down sharply from a year ago, do not assume that it can now be tagged as cheap and attractive. The reality is that, based on its current price in relation to its earnings, OKE is still more expensive than most of the other companies in its industry.
- You can view the full ONEOK Ratings Report.
- Our dividend calendar.