- HOV has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $6.9 million.
- HOV has traded 712,351 shares today.
- HOV is trading at 2.77 times the normal volume for the stock at this time of day.
- HOV is trading at a new low 3.01% below yesterday's close.
'Weak on High Relative Volume' stocks are worth watching because major volume moves tend to indicate underlying activity such as material stock news, analyst downgrades, insider selling, selling from 'superinvestors,' or that hedge funds and traders are piling out of a stock ahead of a catalyst. Regardless of the impetus behind the price and volume action, when a stock moves with strength and volume it can indicate the start of a new trend on which early investors can capitalize (or avoid losses by trimming weak positions). In the event of a well-timed trading opportunity, combining technical indicators with fundamental trends and a disciplined trading methodology should help you take the first steps towards investment success. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in HOV with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for HOV NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on HOV: Hovnanian Enterprises, Inc. designs, constructs, markets, and sells residential homes in the United States. It constructs single-family detached homes, attached townhomes and condominiums, urban infill, and active adult homes. HOV has a PE ratio of 2. Currently there is 1 analyst that rates Hovnanian a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 5 rate it a hold. The average volume for Hovnanian has been 2.3 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Hovnanian has a market cap of $366.7 million and is part of the industrial goods sector and materials & construction industry. The stock has a beta of 1.84 and a short float of 15.7% with 6.90 days to cover. Shares are down 35.6% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Tuesday. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: See inside Jim Cramer's multi-million dollar charitable trust portfolio to see the stocks he thinks could be potential winners. Click here to see his holdings for 14-days FREE. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Hovnanian as a sell. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its unimpressive growth in net income, poor profit margins, weak operating cash flow, generally disappointing historical performance in the stock itself and feeble growth in its earnings per share. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Household Durables industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 147.5% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from -$7.90 million to -$19.56 million.
- The gross profit margin for HOVNANIAN ENTRPRS INC is rather low; currently it is at 15.80%. It has decreased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of -4.17% trails that of the industry average.
- Net operating cash flow has declined marginally to -$60.51 million or 9.91% when compared to the same quarter last year. Despite a decrease in cash flow HOVNANIAN ENTRPRS INC is still fairing well by exceeding its industry average cash flow growth rate of -40.74%.
- Despite any intermediate fluctuations, we have only bad news to report on this stock's performance over the last year: it has tumbled by 41.76%, worse than the S&P 500's performance. Consistent with the plunge in the stock price, the company's earnings per share are down 160.00% compared to the year-earlier quarter. Turning toward the future, the fact that the stock has come down in price over the past year should not necessarily be interpreted as a negative; it could be one of the factors that may help make the stock attractive down the road. Right now, however, we believe that it is too soon to buy.
- HOVNANIAN ENTRPRS INC has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. We feel it is likely to report a decline in earnings in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, HOVNANIAN ENTRPRS INC increased its bottom line by earning $1.84 versus $0.20 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 106.5% in earnings (-$0.12 versus $1.84).
- You can view the full Hovnanian Ratings Report.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: See inside Jim Cramer's multi-million dollar charitable trust portfolio to see the stocks he thinks could be potential winners. Click here to see his holdings for 14-days FREE.