While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends which could subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 3 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Hold." Preferred Apartment Communities Dividend Yield: 7.10% Preferred Apartment Communities (AMEX: APTS) shares currently have a dividend yield of 7.10%. Preferred Apartment Communities, Inc. is a real estate investment trust launched and managed by Preferred Apartment Advisors, LLC. The fund invests in real estate markets of the United States. It primarily acquires and operates multifamily apartment properties. The average volume for Preferred Apartment Communities has been 171,100 shares per day over the past 30 days. Preferred Apartment Communities has a market cap of $225.6 million and is part of the real estate industry. Shares are up 11.5% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Monday. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: See inside Jim Cramer's multi-million dollar charitable trust portfolio to see the stocks he thinks could be potential winners. Click here to see his holdings for 14-days FREE. TheStreet Ratings rates Preferred Apartment Communities as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, good cash flow from operations and solid stock price performance. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including deteriorating net income, poor profit margins and feeble growth in the company's earnings per share. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- APTS's very impressive revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 8.5%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues leaped by 89.9%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly increased by 51.41% to $7.74 million when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, PREFERRED APARTMENT CMNTYS has also vastly surpassed the industry average cash flow growth rate of 0.81%.
- Looking at where the stock is today compared to one year ago, we find that it is not only higher, but it has also clearly outperformed the rise in the S&P 500 over the same period, despite the company's weak earnings results. Despite the fact that it has already risen in the past year, there is currently no conclusive evidence that warrants the purchase or sale of this stock.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 127.4% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $2.76 million to -$0.76 million.
- The gross profit margin for PREFERRED APARTMENT CMNTYS is currently lower than what is desirable, coming in at 29.13%. It has decreased significantly from the same period last year. Along with this, the net profit margin of -3.53% is significantly below that of the industry average.
- You can view the full Preferred Apartment Communities Ratings Report.