- TMO has 10x the normal benchmarked social activity for this time of the day compared to its average of 2.71 mentions/day.
- TMO has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $189.4 million.
Identifying stocks with 'Unusual Social Activity' tends to be a valuable process for traders looking to capitalize on the 'talk of the town' stocks that are basking in far more attention from the StockTwits financial community than normal. Good press? Bad press? It ultimately doesn't matter if it's good or bad if you know how to trade around the sentiment. Certain hedge funds use such data for their proprietary algorithms and it is not uncommon to see shared social sentiment play itself out in a stock's price trend. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in TMO with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for TMO NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on TMO: Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. provides analytical instruments, equipment, reagents and consumables, software, and services for research, manufacturing, analysis, discovery, and diagnostics worldwide. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 0.5%. TMO has a PE ratio of 3. Currently there are 13 analysts that rate Thermo Fisher Scientific a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and none rate it a hold. The average volume for Thermo Fisher Scientific has been 1.5 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Thermo Fisher Scientific has a market cap of $51.8 billion and is part of the health care sector and health services industry. The stock has a beta of 0.84 and a short float of 0.6% with 1.66 days to cover. Shares are up 3.4% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Tuesday. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: See inside Jim Cramer's multi-million dollar charitable trust portfolio to see the stocks he thinks could be potential winners. Click here to see his holdings for 14-days FREE. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Thermo Fisher Scientific as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, reasonable valuation levels, expanding profit margins, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures and increase in stock price during the past year. We feel its strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had sub par growth in net income. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- TMO's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 3.0%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 0.4%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- The gross profit margin for THERMO FISHER SCIENTIFIC INC is rather high; currently it is at 51.49%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Regardless of the strong results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 9.82% trails the industry average.
- The debt-to-equity ratio is somewhat low, currently at 0.75, and is less than that of the industry average, implying that there has been a relatively successful effort in the management of debt levels. Even though the company has a strong debt-to-equity ratio, the quick ratio of 0.50 is very weak and demonstrates a lack of ability to pay short-term obligations.
- Compared to where it was a year ago today, the stock is now trading at a higher level, regardless of the company's weak earnings results. Turning our attention to the future direction of the stock, it goes without saying that even the best stocks can fall in an overall down market. However, in any other environment, this stock still has good upside potential despite the fact that it has already risen in the past year.
- You can view the full Thermo Fisher Scientific Ratings Report.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: See inside Jim Cramer's multi-million dollar charitable trust portfolio to see the stocks he thinks could be potential winners. Click here to see his holdings for 14-days FREE.