- ACI has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $2.5 million.
- ACI has traded 680,948 shares today.
- ACI is trading at 2.24 times the normal volume for the stock at this time of day.
- ACI is trading at a new low 7.36% below yesterday's close.
'Weak on High Relative Volume' stocks are worth watching because major volume moves tend to indicate underlying activity such as material stock news, analyst downgrades, insider selling, selling from 'superinvestors,' or that hedge funds and traders are piling out of a stock ahead of a catalyst. Regardless of the impetus behind the price and volume action, when a stock moves with strength and volume it can indicate the start of a new trend on which early investors can capitalize (or avoid losses by trimming weak positions). In the event of a well-timed trading opportunity, combining technical indicators with fundamental trends and a disciplined trading methodology should help you take the first steps towards investment success. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in ACI with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for ACI NOW at Trade-Ideas
- The gross profit margin for ARCH COAL INC is rather low; currently it is at 16.94%. Despite the low profit margin, it has increased significantly from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, ACI's net profit margin of -16.71% significantly underperformed when compared to the industry average.
- ACI's stock share price has done very poorly compared to where it was a year ago: Despite any rallies, the net result is that it is down by 88.03%, which is also worse that the performance of the S&P 500 Index. Investors have so far failed to pay much attention to the earnings improvements the company has managed to achieve over the last quarter. Naturally, the overall market trend is bound to be a significant factor. However, in one sense, the stock's sharp decline last year is a positive for future investors, making it cheaper (in proportion to its earnings over the past year) than most other stocks in its industry. But due to other concerns, we feel the stock is still not a good buy right now.
- The debt-to-equity ratio is very high at 3.30 and currently higher than the industry average, implying increased risk associated with the management of debt levels within the company. Regardless of the company's weak debt-to-equity ratio, ACI has managed to keep a strong quick ratio of 2.20, which demonstrates the ability to cover short-term cash needs.
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry and the overall market, ARCH COAL INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- Despite the weak revenue results, ACI has significantly outperformed against the industry average of 38.7%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 8.0%. The declining revenue has not hurt the company's bottom line, with increasing earnings per share.
- You can view the full Arch Coal Ratings Report.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: See inside Jim Cramer's multi-million dollar charitable trust portfolio to see the stocks he thinks could be potential winners. Click here to see his holdings for 14-days FREE.