NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Comcast (CMCSA) shares are up 0.94% to $61.08 in afternoon trading on Monday as the company continues to benefit from the record setting box office take of its summer blockbuster Jurassic World.
The film broke box office records last week on its way to making $208.8 million in its opening weekend while pulling in an additional $315.6 million in foreign markets for a grand total of $524 million in its opening weekend.
This past weekend the film was able to maintain its top spot domestically, bringing in an additional $102 million in the U.S.
During its two weekend run, the film, which debuted March 12, has made approximately $981 million worldwide, putting it on pace to break the record for quickest film to top the $1 billion mark held by Fast 7, which accomplished the feat in 17 days this past April.
Rounding out the top five films from the weekend are Pixar's Inside Out ($91 million and Pixar's second largest opening ever behind Toy Story 3), 20th Century Fox (FOXA) Spy ($10.5 million), Warner Bros (TWX) San Andreas ($8.2 million) and Open Road Film's Dope ($6 million).
TheStreet Ratings team rates COMCAST CORP as a Buy with a ratings score of A+. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate COMCAST CORP (CMCSA) a BUY. This is based on the convergence of positive investment measures, which should help this stock outperform the majority of stocks that we rate. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its solid stock price performance, growth in earnings per share, increase in net income, revenue growth and notable return on equity. We feel its strengths outweigh the fact that the company shows low profit margins."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- The stock has not only risen over the past year, it has done so at a faster pace than the S&P 500, reflecting the earnings growth and other positive factors similar to those we have cited here. Turning our attention to the future direction of the stock, it goes without saying that even the best stocks can fall in an overall down market. However, in any other environment, this stock still has good upside potential despite the fact that it has already risen in the past year.
- COMCAST CORP has improved earnings per share by 14.1% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, COMCAST CORP increased its bottom line by earning $3.20 versus $2.56 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($6.61 versus $3.20).
- The company, on the basis of net income growth from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly outperformed against the S&P 500 and exceeded that of the Media industry average. The net income increased by 10.0% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, going from $1,871.00 million to $2,059.00 million.
- Despite its growing revenue, the company underperformed as compared with the industry average of 3.9%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 2.5%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Media industry and the overall market, COMCAST CORP's return on equity exceeds that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: CMCSA Ratings Report