Shareholders of SunCoke Energy Inc (SXC - Get Report) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 2.1% annualized dividend yield can sell the December covered call at the $15 strike and collect the premium based on the $1.05 bid, which annualizes to an additional 15.2% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost), for a total of 17.3% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $15 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but SXC shares would have to climb 6.5% from current levels for that to happen, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 13.9% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of SunCoke Energy Inc, looking at the dividend history chart for SXC below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 2.1% annualized dividend yield. Below is a chart showing SXC's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $15 strike highlighted in red: The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the December covered call at the $15 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $15. ( Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for SunCoke Energy Inc (considering the last 251 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $14.13) to be 34%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the SXC Stock Options page of StockOptionsChannel.com.
More from Stocks
How ESG Investing Can Benefit Your Portfolio and 401k
Curious about getting involved in ESG investing? Here's how it can benefit your portfolio.
Dick's Sporting Goods Reportedly Again Mulls Halt to Firearms Sales
Dick's has been the most publicly prominent among the retailers about the subject of firearms sales, CNN reports.
U.S. Steel Stock Lower After News of 200 Furloughs in Michigan
The steelmaker plans to halt production and temporarily lay off about 200 workers at its Great Lakes, Mich., facility.