Strategy To YieldBoost WGO From 1.8% To 18.3% Using Options

Shareholders of Winnebago Industries, Inc. (WGO) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 1.8% annualized dividend yield can sell the October covered call at the $21 strike and collect the premium based on the $1.05 bid, which annualizes to an additional 16.5% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost), for a total of 18.3% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $21 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but WGO shares would have to advance 4.8% from current levels for that to occur, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 10.1% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.

START SLIDESHOW:
Top YieldBoost Calls of the S&P 500 »

In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of Winnebago Industries, Inc., looking at the dividend history chart for WGO below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 1.8% annualized dividend yield.

WGO+Dividend+History+Chart

Below is a chart showing WGO's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $21 strike highlighted in red:

Loading+chart++2015+TickerTech.com

The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the October covered call at the $21 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $21. ( Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for Winnebago Industries, Inc. (considering the last 251 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $20.05) to be 35%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the WGO Stock Options page of StockOptionsChannel.com.

More from Stocks

Trump Tariff Threat, Deutsche Bank, Elon Musk and Apple - 5 Things You Must Know

Trump Tariff Threat, Deutsche Bank, Elon Musk and Apple - 5 Things You Must Know

Carnival CEO Arnold Donald: China Will Become the Largest Cruise Market

Carnival CEO Arnold Donald: China Will Become the Largest Cruise Market

One-on-One With Carnival Corporation CEO Arnold Donald (Watch)

One-on-One With Carnival Corporation CEO Arnold Donald (Watch)

Replay: Jim Cramer on the Markets, Tiffany, Micron Technology and Union Pacific

Replay: Jim Cramer on the Markets, Tiffany, Micron Technology and Union Pacific

Stocks Finish Higher After Release of Fed Minutes

Stocks Finish Higher After Release of Fed Minutes