NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of Micron Technology (MU) closed up 0.02% to $24.47 on Friday after analysts at Topeka Capital Markets earlier upgraded the company to "buy" from "hold" and increased their price target to $34 from $30.
The Idaho-based company provides semiconductor solutions.
After meeting with the management, analysts were encouraged by likely outsized DRAM cost per bit improvement relative to competitors, steady TLC 3D NAND progress that can drive a demand inflection and continued commitment to capital returns while maintaining a competitive capex level, according to Barron's.
"We believe MU is at or ahead of plan in its 20nm DRAM ramp," analysts said. "We expect management to accomplish this critical transition while keeping DRAM capex flattish."
Despite weakness in the PC market, analysts have a bullish outlook on Micron Technology.
Separately, TheStreet Ratings team rates MICRON TECHNOLOGY INC as a Buy with a ratings score of B. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate MICRON TECHNOLOGY INC (MU) a BUY. This is driven by some important positives, which we believe should have a greater impact than any weaknesses, and should give investors a better performance opportunity than most stocks we cover. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, notable return on equity, attractive valuation levels and expanding profit margins. We feel its strengths outweigh the fact that the company shows weak operating cash flow."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- MU's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 0.7%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 1.4%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- The current debt-to-equity ratio, 0.54, is low and is below the industry average, implying that there has been successful management of debt levels. To add to this, MU has a quick ratio of 1.76, which demonstrates the ability of the company to cover short-term liquidity needs.
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Semiconductors & Semiconductor Equipment industry and the overall market, MICRON TECHNOLOGY INC's return on equity significantly exceeds that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- 49.11% is the gross profit margin for MICRON TECHNOLOGY INC which we consider to be strong. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 22.41% is above that of the industry average.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: MU Ratings Report