- TRIP has 14x the normal benchmarked social activity for this time of the day compared to its average of 11.42 mentions/day.
- TRIP has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $235.2 million.
Identifying stocks with 'Unusual Social Activity' tends to be a valuable process for traders looking to capitalize on the 'talk of the town' stocks that are basking in far more attention from the StockTwits financial community than normal. Good press? Bad press? It ultimately doesn't matter if it's good or bad if you know how to trade around the sentiment. Certain hedge funds use such data for their proprietary algorithms and it is not uncommon to see shared social sentiment play itself out in a stock's price trend. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in TRIP with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for TRIP NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on TRIP: TripAdvisor, Inc. operates as an online travel company. The company operates through two segments, Hotel and Other. TRIP has a PE ratio of 51. Currently there are 5 analysts that rate TripAdvisor a buy, 2 analysts rate it a sell, and 15 rate it a hold.
The average volume for TripAdvisor has been 1.6 million shares per day over the past 30 days. TripAdvisor has a market cap of $10.0 billion and is part of the technology sector and internet industry. The stock has a beta of 3.10 and a short float of 11.9% with 4.45 days to cover. Shares are up 2.4% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Wednesday.EXCLUSIVE OFFER: See inside Jim Cramer's multi-million dollar charitable trust portfolio to see the stocks he thinks could be potential winners. Click here to see his holdings for 14-days FREE. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates TripAdvisor as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, expanding profit margins and notable return on equity. We feel its strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had lackluster performance in the stock itself. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 18.9%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 29.2%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- TRIP's debt-to-equity ratio is very low at 0.28 and is currently below that of the industry average, implying that there has been very successful management of debt levels. To add to this, TRIP has a quick ratio of 1.89, which demonstrates the ability of the company to cover short-term liquidity needs.
- The gross profit margin for TRIPADVISOR INC is currently very high, coming in at 96.42%. Regardless of TRIP's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, TRIP's net profit margin of 17.35% significantly outperformed against the industry.
- TRIPADVISOR INC's earnings per share declined by 8.5% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, TRIPADVISOR INC increased its bottom line by earning $1.56 versus $1.41 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($2.23 versus $1.56).
- The change in net income from the same quarter one year ago has exceeded that of the S&P 500 and greatly outperformed compared to the Internet & Catalog Retail industry average. The net income has decreased by 7.3% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, dropping from $68.00 million to $63.00 million.
- You can view the full TripAdvisor Ratings Report.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: See inside Jim Cramer's multi-million dollar charitable trust portfolio to see the stocks he thinks could be potential winners. Click here to see his holdings for 14-days FREE.