While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends which could subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 3 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Hold." Piedmont Office Realty Dividend Yield: 4.90% Piedmont Office Realty (NYSE: PDM) shares currently have a dividend yield of 4.90%. Piedmont Office Realty Trust, Inc. engages in the acquisition and ownership of commercial real estate properties in the United States. Its property portfolio primarily consists of office and industrial buildings, warehouses, and manufacturing facilities. The company has a P/E ratio of 52.00. The average volume for Piedmont Office Realty has been 839,700 shares per day over the past 30 days. Piedmont Office Realty has a market cap of $2.6 billion and is part of the real estate industry. Shares are down 8.9% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Tuesday. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: See inside Jim Cramer's multi-million dollar charitable trust portfolio to see the stocks he thinks could be potential winners. Click here to see his holdings for 14-days FREE. TheStreet Ratings rates Piedmont Office Realty as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, increase in net income and growth in earnings per share. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including a generally disappointing performance in the stock itself, disappointing return on equity and weak operating cash flow. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- PDM's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 8.5%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 10.1%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) industry. The net income increased by 104.9% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $9.39 million to $19.25 million.
- PIEDMONT OFFICE REALTY TRUST reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, PIEDMONT OFFICE REALTY TRUST reported lower earnings of $0.27 versus $0.43 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($0.29 versus $0.27).
- PDM has underperformed the S&P 500 Index, declining 9.88% from its price level of one year ago. Looking ahead, other than the push or pull of the broad market, we do not see anything in the company's numbers that may help reverse the decline experienced over the past 12 months. Despite the past decline, the stock is still selling for more than most others in its industry.
- The company's current return on equity has slightly decreased from the same quarter one year prior. This implies a minor weakness in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) industry and the overall market, PIEDMONT OFFICE REALTY TRUST's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- You can view the full Piedmont Office Realty Ratings Report.
- Despite its growing revenue, the company underperformed as compared with the industry average of 5.7%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 0.5%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly increased by 94.03% to -$60.34 million when compared to the same quarter last year. Despite an increase in cash flow of 94.03%, PROSPECT CAPITAL CORP is still growing at a significantly lower rate than the industry average of 191.13%.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed compared to the Capital Markets industry average, but is greater than that of the S&P 500. The net income has decreased by 0.7% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, dropping from $82.10 million to $81.49 million.
- The company's current return on equity has slightly decreased from the same quarter one year prior. This implies a minor weakness in the organization. When compared to other companies in the Capital Markets industry and the overall market, PROSPECT CAPITAL CORP's return on equity is below that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- You can view the full Prospect Capital Corporation Ratings Report.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Capital Markets industry. The net income increased by 60.6% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $24.60 million to $39.50 million.
- Current return on equity exceeded its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a clear sign of strength within the company. Compared to other companies in the Capital Markets industry and the overall market, CARLYLE GROUP LP's return on equity exceeds that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- Net operating cash flow has increased to $1,475.00 million or 49.02% when compared to the same quarter last year. Despite an increase in cash flow of 49.02%, CARLYLE GROUP LP is still growing at a significantly lower rate than the industry average of 191.13%.
- 36.88% is the gross profit margin for CARLYLE GROUP LP which we consider to be strong. Regardless of CG's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, CG's net profit margin of 3.47% is significantly lower than the industry average.
- CG has underperformed the S&P 500 Index, declining 10.92% from its price level of one year ago. Looking ahead, we do not see anything in this company's numbers that would change the one-year trend. It was down over the last twelve months; and it could be down again in the next twelve. Naturally, a bull or bear market could sway the movement of this stock.
- You can view the full Carlyle Group L P Ratings Report.
- Our dividend calendar.