NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of YY (YY - Get Report), a video-based Chinese social network with more than 300 million users, were gaining 6.7% to $79.82 on heavy trading volume Wednesday as Chinese stocks rally following Qihoo 360's (QIHU) buyout offer.
Qihoo 360 CEO Hongyi Zhou and other shareholders offer to buy the Chinese Internet company for $77 a share on Wednesday to bring it private. The offer represents a 16.6% premium over Qihoo 360's Tuesday closing price of $66.05 a share.
More than a dozen Chinese companies received buyout offers from executives this year, with Qihoo 360 being the largest of the group, according to Barron's.
YY lets users create groups around online games, music, dating shows, and fashion, among other things.
About 1.6 million shares of YY were traded by 10:52 a.m. Wednesday, above the company's average trading volume of about 1.5 million shares a day.
TheStreet Ratings team rates YY INC -ADR as a Hold with a ratings score of C. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate YY INC -ADR (YY) a HOLD. The primary factors that have impacted our rating are mixed -- some indicating strength, some showing weaknesses, with little evidence to justify the expectation of either a positive or negative performance for this stock relative to most other stocks. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, notable return on equity and solid stock price performance. However, as a counter to these strengths, we find that the company has favored debt over equity in the management of its balance sheet."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- YY's very impressive revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 5.8%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues leaped by 73.1%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- Compared to where it was a year ago today, the stock is now trading at a higher level, reflecting both the market's overall trend during that period and the fact that the company's earnings growth has been robust. Looking ahead, our view is that this company's fundamentals will not have much impact in either direction, allowing the stock to generally move up or down based on the push and pull of the broad market.
- 41.51% is the gross profit margin for YY INC -ADR which we consider to be strong. Despite the high profit margin, it has decreased significantly from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 19.73% trails the industry average.
- The debt-to-equity ratio of 1.06 is relatively high when compared with the industry average, suggesting a need for better debt level management. Despite the company's weak debt-to-equity ratio, the company has managed to keep a very strong quick ratio of 3.97, which shows the ability to cover short-term cash needs.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: YY Ratings Report