Qihoo 360 CEO Hongyi Zhou and other shareholders offer to buy the Chinese Internet company for $77 a share on Wednesday to bring it private. The offer represents a 16.6% premium over Qihoo 360's Tuesday closing price of $66.05 a share.
More than a dozen Chinese companies received buyout offers from executives this year, with Qihoo 360 being the largest of the group, according to Barron's.
JL Warren Capital analyst Junheng Li believes SouFun is a likely candidate to receive a buyout offer in the near future.
SouFun is a Chinese online real estate portal that also operates websites for home furnishing and improvements.
TheStreet Ratings team rates SOUFUN HLDGS LTD as a Buy with a ratings score of B-. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate SOUFUN HLDGS LTD (SFUN) a BUY. This is driven by several positive factors, which we believe should have a greater impact than any weaknesses, and should give investors a better performance opportunity than most stocks we cover. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, expanding profit margins and notable return on equity. We feel its strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had somewhat weak growth in earnings per share."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- Despite its growing revenue, the company underperformed as compared with the industry average of 5.8%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 1.8%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- The gross profit margin for SOUFUN HLDGS LTD is rather high; currently it is at 67.15%. Despite the high profit margin, it has decreased significantly from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, SFUN's net profit margin of 4.94% is significantly lower than the industry average.
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Internet Software & Services industry and the overall market, SOUFUN HLDGS LTD's return on equity significantly exceeds that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The debt-to-equity ratio of 1.05 is relatively high when compared with the industry average, suggesting a need for better debt level management. Regardless of the company's weak debt-to-equity ratio, SFUN has managed to keep a strong quick ratio of 2.05, which demonstrates the ability to cover short-term cash needs.
- The share price of SOUFUN HLDGS LTD has not done very well: it is down 14.01% and has underperformed the S&P 500, in part reflecting the company's sharply declining earnings per share when compared to the year-earlier quarter. Looking ahead, although the push and pull of the overall market trend could certainly make a critical difference, we do not see any strong reason stemming from the company's fundamentals that would cause a continuation of last year's decline. In fact, the stock is now selling for less than others in its industry in relation to its current earnings.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: SFUN Ratings Report