While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends which could subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 3 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Buy."Entergy Dividend Yield: 4.60% Entergy (NYSE: ETR) shares currently have a dividend yield of 4.60%. Entergy Corporation, together with its subsidiaries, engages in the electric power production and retail electric distribution operations in the United States. It operates in two segments, Utility and Entergy Wholesale Commodities. The company has a P/E ratio of 15.43. The average volume for Entergy has been 1,222,600 shares per day over the past 30 days. Entergy has a market cap of $12.8 billion and is part of the utilities industry. Shares are down 19.2% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Friday. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: See inside Jim Cramer's multi-million dollar charitable trust portfolio to see the stocks he thinks could be potential winners. Click here to see his holdings for 14-days FREE. TheStreet Ratings rates Entergy as a buy. Among the primary strengths of the company is its attractive valuation levels, considering its current price compared to earnings, book value and other measures. We feel its strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had lackluster performance in the stock itself. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- ENTERGY CORP's earnings per share declined by 26.3% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, ENTERGY CORP increased its bottom line by earning $5.22 versus $3.98 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($5.51 versus $5.22).
- ETR, with its decline in revenue, underperformed when compared the industry average of 2.6%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 9.0%. Weakness in the company's revenue seems to have hurt the bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- The gross profit margin for ENTERGY CORP is currently lower than what is desirable, coming in at 32.61%. It has decreased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 10.37% trails that of the industry average.
- Net operating cash flow has decreased to $610.96 million or 20.36% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing the cash generation rate to the industry average, the firm's growth is significantly lower.
- You can view the full Entergy Ratings Report.
- CENTURYLINK INC' earnings per share from the most recent quarter came in slightly below the year earlier quarter. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, CENTURYLINK INC turned its bottom line around by earning $1.35 versus -$0.43 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($2.57 versus $1.35).
- Regardless of the drop in revenue, the company managed to outperform against the industry average of 2.9%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 1.9%. The declining revenue appears to have seeped down to the company's bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- The gross profit margin for CENTURYLINK INC is rather high; currently it is at 57.13%. Regardless of CTL's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 4.31% trails the industry average.
- Current return on equity exceeded its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a clear sign of strength within the company. In comparison to the other companies in the Diversified Telecommunication Services industry and the overall market, CENTURYLINK INC's return on equity is significantly below that of the industry average and is below that of the S&P 500.
- Even though the current debt-to-equity ratio is 1.39, it is still below the industry average, suggesting that this level of debt is acceptable within the Diversified Telecommunication Services industry. Despite the fact that CTL's debt-to-equity ratio is mixed in its results, the company's quick ratio of 0.59 is low and demonstrates weak liquidity.
- You can view the full CenturyLink Ratings Report.
- GSK's very impressive revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 2.1%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues leaped by 127.6%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- The company's current return on equity greatly increased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of significant strength within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Pharmaceuticals industry and the overall market, GLAXOSMITHKLINE PLC's return on equity significantly exceeds that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The gross profit margin for GLAXOSMITHKLINE PLC is currently very high, coming in at 86.48%. It has increased significantly from the same period last year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 56.13% significantly outperformed against the industry average.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Pharmaceuticals industry. The net income increased by 978.4% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $1,113.89 million to $12,012.17 million.
- You can view the full GlaxoSmithKline Ratings Report.
- Our dividend calendar.