While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends which could subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 3 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Buy." Nordic American Tankers Dividend Yield: 11.20% Nordic American Tankers (NYSE: NAT) shares currently have a dividend yield of 11.20%. Nordic American Tankers Limited, a tanker company, engages in acquiring and chartering double-hull tankers. As of December 31, 2014, it owned 24 Suezmax crude oil tankers, including two new buildings under construction. The company was founded in 1995 and is based in Hamilton, Bermuda. The average volume for Nordic American Tankers has been 1,481,800 shares per day over the past 30 days. Nordic American Tankers has a market cap of $1.2 billion and is part of the transportation industry. Shares are up 34.3% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Tuesday. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: See inside Jim Cramer's multi-million dollar charitable trust portfolio to see the stocks he thinks could be potential winners. Click here to see his holdings for 14-days FREE. TheStreet Ratings rates Nordic American Tankers as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its impressive record of earnings per share growth, compelling growth in net income, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, expanding profit margins and good cash flow from operations. Although no company is perfect, currently we do not see any significant weaknesses which are likely to detract from the generally positive outlook. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- NORDIC AMERICAN TANKERS LTD reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, NORDIC AMERICAN TANKERS LTD continued to lose money by earning -$0.15 versus -$1.67 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($0.84 versus -$0.15).
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry. The net income increased by 659.9% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $3.99 million to $30.32 million.
- NAT's debt-to-equity ratio is very low at 0.28 and is currently below that of the industry average, implying that there has been very successful management of debt levels. Along with this, the company maintains a quick ratio of 6.95, which clearly demonstrates the ability to cover short-term cash needs.
- The gross profit margin for NORDIC AMERICAN TANKERS LTD is currently very high, coming in at 76.80%. It has increased significantly from the same period last year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 43.58% significantly outperformed against the industry average.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly increased by 70.72% to $40.66 million when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, NORDIC AMERICAN TANKERS LTD has also vastly surpassed the industry average cash flow growth rate of -53.19%.
- You can view the full Nordic American Tankers Ratings Report.