NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of Prudential Financial Inc. (PRU) are up by 0.26% to $88.20 in after-hours trading on Tuesday afternoon. Following the market close the financial services company announced that its board of directors authorized the repurchase of up to $1 billion of its outstanding common stock.
The buyback covers a period from July 1, 2015 to June 30, 2016.
In June of last year the company's board authorized a similar buyback of up to $1 billion of its outstanding common stock through June 30, 2015. Under that authorization the company said it repurchased approximately $750 million of its common stock through March 31, 2015.
Prudential Financial is a Newark, NJ.-based institution that provides a variety of customers with a range of financial products and services. The company operates in a variety of territories across the globe, including the U.S., Latin America, Asia and Europe.
Separately, TheStreet Ratings team rates PRUDENTIAL FINANCIAL INC as a Buy with a ratings score of A-. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate PRUDENTIAL FINANCIAL INC (PRU) a BUY. This is based on the convergence of positive investment measures, which should help this stock outperform the majority of stocks that we rate. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, impressive record of earnings per share growth, compelling growth in net income, expanding profit margins and good cash flow from operations. We feel its strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had lackluster performance in the stock itself."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- The revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 9.4%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 21.0%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- PRUDENTIAL FINANCIAL INC reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, PRUDENTIAL FINANCIAL INC turned its bottom line around by earning $3.08 versus -$1.61 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($10.15 versus $3.08).
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Insurance industry. The net income increased by 64.5% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $1,238.00 million to $2,036.00 million.
- 35.43% is the gross profit margin for PRUDENTIAL FINANCIAL INC which we consider to be strong. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 13.09% is above that of the industry average.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly increased by 179.33% to $5,528.00 million when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, PRUDENTIAL FINANCIAL INC has also vastly surpassed the industry average cash flow growth rate of 21.44%.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: PRU Ratings Report