How To YieldBoost National CineMedia From 5.5% To 12.6% Using Options

Shareholders of National CineMedia Inc ( NCMI) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 5.5% annualized dividend yield can sell the December covered call at the $17.50 strike and collect the premium based on the 60 cents bid, which annualizes to an additional 7.1% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost), for a total of 12.6% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $17.50 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but NCMI shares would have to climb 8.5% from current levels for that to happen, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 12.2% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.

START SLIDESHOW:
Top YieldBoost Calls of the S&P 500 »

In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of National CineMedia Inc, looking at the dividend history chart for NCMI below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 5.5% annualized dividend yield.

NCMI+Dividend+History+Chart

Below is a chart showing NCMI's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $17.50 strike highlighted in red:

Loading+chart++2015+TickerTech.com

The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the December covered call at the $17.50 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $17.50. ( Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for National CineMedia Inc (considering the last 252 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $16.06) to be 37%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the NCMI Stock Options page of StockOptionsChannel.com.

In mid-afternoon trading on Tuesday, the put volume among S&P 500 components was 578,469 contracts, with call volume at 973,552, for a put:call ratio of 0.59 so far for the day. Compared to the long-term median put:call ratio of .65, that represents high call volume relative to puts; in other words, buyers are showing a preference for calls in options trading so far today. Find out which 15 call and put options traders are talking about today.

If you liked this article you might like

3 High-Yield Dividend Stocks to Avoid

3 High-Yield Dividend Stocks to Avoid

Insider Trading Alert - NCMI, ERI And CFFI Traded By Insiders

Insider Trading Alert - NCMI, ERI And CFFI Traded By Insiders

AMC Inks $1.1 Billion Blockbuster Deal for Carmike

AMC Inks $1.1 Billion Blockbuster Deal for Carmike

Insider Trading Alert - MACK, CASH And NCMI Traded By Insiders

Insider Trading Alert - MACK, CASH And NCMI Traded By Insiders

Insider Trading Alert - NCMI, RE And PCLN Traded By Insiders

Insider Trading Alert - NCMI, RE And PCLN Traded By Insiders