- LPI has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $56.1 million.
- LPI has traded 601,676 shares today.
- LPI is trading at 5.18 times the normal volume for the stock at this time of day.
- LPI is trading at a new high 5.04% above yesterday's close.
'Strong on High Relative Volume' stocks are worth watching because major volume moves tend to indicate underlying activity such as M&A events, material stock news, analyst upgrades, insider buying, buying from 'superinvestors,' or that hedge funds and momentum traders are piling into a stock ahead of a catalyst. Regardless of the impetus behind the price and volume action, when a stock moves with strength and volume it can indicate the start of a new trend on which early investors can capitalize. In the event of a well-timed trading opportunity, combining technical indicators with fundamental trends and a disciplined trading methodology should help you take the first steps towards investment success. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in LPI with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for LPI NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on LPI: Laredo Petroleum, Inc. operates as an independent energy company in the United States. It focuses on the acquisition, exploration, and development of oil and natural gas properties primarily in the Permian Basin in west Texas. LPI has a PE ratio of 8. Currently there are 8 analysts that rate Laredo Petroleum a buy, 1 analyst rates it a sell, and 8 rate it a hold. The average volume for Laredo Petroleum has been 4.4 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Laredo has a market cap of $3.1 billion and is part of the basic materials sector and energy industry. The stock has a beta of 0.46 and a short float of 22.3% with 7.15 days to cover. Shares are up 34.3% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Monday. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: See inside Jim Cramer's multi-million dollar charitable trust portfolio to see the stocks he thinks could be potential winners. Click here to see his holdings for 14-days FREE. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Laredo Petroleum as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, expanding profit margins and notable return on equity. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including unimpressive growth in net income and weak operating cash flow. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The debt-to-equity ratio is somewhat low, currently at 0.80, and is less than that of the industry average, implying that there has been a relatively successful effort in the management of debt levels. Although the company had a strong debt-to-equity ratio, its quick ratio of 0.74 is somewhat weak and could be cause for future problems.
- 49.64% is the gross profit margin for LAREDO PETROLEUM INC which we consider to be strong. Despite the high profit margin, it has decreased significantly from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of -0.31% trails the industry average.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to $26.87 million or 79.03% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing the cash generation rate to the industry average, the firm's growth is significantly lower.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 121.6% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from -$0.21 million to -$0.47 million.
- You can view the full Laredo Petroleum Ratings Report.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: See inside Jim Cramer's multi-million dollar charitable trust portfolio to see the stocks he thinks could be potential winners. Click here to see his holdings for 14-days FREE.