One Put, One Call Option To Know About for AT&T

Consistently, one of the more popular stocks people enter into their stock options watchlist at Stock Options Channel is AT&T Inc (T). So this week we highlight one interesting put contract, and one interesting call contract, from the July expiration for T. The put contract our YieldBoost algorithm identified as particularly interesting, is at the $33 strike, which has a bid at the time of this writing of 48 cents. Collecting that bid as the premium represents a 1.4% return against the $33 commitment, or a 11.5% annualized rate of return (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost).

START SLIDESHOW:
Top YieldBoost T Puts »

Selling a put does not give an investor access to T's upside potential the way owning shares would, because the put seller only ends up owning shares in the scenario where the contract is exercised. So unless AT&T Inc sees its shares decline 4.8% and the contract is exercised (resulting in a cost basis of $32.52 per share before broker commissions, subtracting the 48 cents from $33), the only upside to the put seller is from collecting that premium for the 11.5% annualized rate of return.

Worth considering, is that the annualized 11.5% figure actually exceeds the 5.4% annualized dividend paid by AT&T Inc by 6.1%, based on the current share price of $34.68. And yet, if an investor was to buy the stock at the going market price in order to collect the dividend, there is greater downside because the stock would have to lose 4.82% to reach the $33 strike price.

Always important when discussing dividends is the fact that, in general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of AT&T Inc, looking at the dividend history chart for T below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 5.4% annualized dividend yield.

T+Dividend+History+Chart

Turning to the other side of the option chain, we highlight one call contract of particular interest for the July expiration, for shareholders of AT&T Inc ( T) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 5.4% annualized dividend yield. Selling the covered call at the $35 strike and collecting the premium based on the 64 cents bid, annualizes to an additional 14.7% rate of return against the current stock price (this is what we at Stock Options Channel refer to as the YieldBoost), for a total of 20.1% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $35 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but T shares would have to climb 0.9% from current levels for that to happen, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 2.8% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.

START SLIDESHOW:
Top YieldBoost T Calls »

The chart below shows the trailing twelve month trading history for AT&T Inc, highlighting in green where the $33 strike is located relative to that history, and highlighting the $35 strike in red:

Loading+chart++2015+TickerTech.com

The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the July put or call options highlighted in this article deliver a rate of return that represents good reward for the risks. We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for AT&T Inc (considering the last 252 trading day T historical stock prices using closing values, as well as today's price of $34.68) to be 14%.

In mid-afternoon trading on Monday, the put volume among S&P 500 components was 696,859 contracts, with call volume at 1.23M, for a put:call ratio of 0.57 so far for the day. Compared to the long-term median put:call ratio of .65, that represents high call volume relative to puts; in other words, buyers are showing a preference for calls in options trading so far today. Find out which 15 call and put options traders are talking about today.

More from Stocks

Facebook, Amazon, Microsoft and Ford - 5 Things You Must Know

Facebook, Amazon, Microsoft and Ford - 5 Things You Must Know

Abercrombie & Fitch CEO: We Aren't the Same Abercrombie You Once Knew

Abercrombie & Fitch CEO: We Aren't the Same Abercrombie You Once Knew

Amazon Wants to Use Your Car as a Mobile Warehouse - Here's What That Could Mean

Amazon Wants to Use Your Car as a Mobile Warehouse - Here's What That Could Mean

Chipotle's New CEO Has Set its Path for Redemption

Chipotle's New CEO Has Set its Path for Redemption

TheStreet Is About to Hold the BEST Institutional Investor Conference of 2018

TheStreet Is About to Hold the BEST Institutional Investor Conference of 2018