How To YieldBoost EPIQ Systems To 19% Using Options

Shareholders of EPIQ Systems Inc (EPIQ) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 2.1% annualized dividend yield can sell the October covered call at the $17.50 strike and collect the premium based on the $1.05 bid, which annualizes to an additional 16.9% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost), for a total of 19% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $17.50 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but EPIQ shares would have to climb 2.5% from current levels for that to happen, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 8.6% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.

START SLIDESHOW:
Top YieldBoost Calls of the S&P 500 »

In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of EPIQ Systems Inc, looking at the dividend history chart for EPIQ below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 2.1% annualized dividend yield.

EPIQ+Dividend+History+Chart

Below is a chart showing EPIQ's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $17.50 strike highlighted in red:

Loading+chart++2015+TickerTech.com

The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the October covered call at the $17.50 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $17.50. ( Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for EPIQ Systems Inc (considering the last 252 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $17.05) to be 42%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the EPIQ Stock Options page of StockOptionsChannel.com.

More from Stocks

Canopy Growth: First Cannabis Firm on the NYSE Fails to Generate Buzz

Canopy Growth: First Cannabis Firm on the NYSE Fails to Generate Buzz

Video: This Startup Connects Buyers and Sellers of Legal Marijuana

Video: This Startup Connects Buyers and Sellers of Legal Marijuana

Dow, S&P 500 and Nasdaq Tumble After Trump Calls Off North Korea Summit

Dow, S&P 500 and Nasdaq Tumble After Trump Calls Off North Korea Summit

Inside Carnival's Mind Blowing New Horizon Cruise Ship (Video)

Inside Carnival's Mind Blowing New Horizon Cruise Ship (Video)

PayPal Wants to Consolidate the World of Rewards Points

PayPal Wants to Consolidate the World of Rewards Points