NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Apparel and accessories retailer Guess? Inc. (GES) is scheduled to release its fiscal 2016 first quarter earnings results after the market close on Tuesday afternoon. Analysts are expecting the company to post a year-over-year decline in earnings and revenue for the most recent quarter.
Analysts polled by Thomson Reuters have forecast that Guess will report a loss of 5 cents per share on revenue of $483.80 million for the first quarter.
Last year, the company said its adjusted loss was 3 cents per share on a 5% year-over-year decline in revenue to $523 million.
The Los Angeles, Calif.-based company designs, markets, distributes, and licenses apparel and accessories for women, children, and men.
Shares of Guess closed up by 0.11% to $17.56 on Monday afternoon.
Separately, TheStreet Ratings team rates GUESS INC as a Hold with a ratings score of C. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate GUESS INC (GES) a HOLD. The primary factors that have impacted our rating are mixed-some indicating strength, some showing weaknesses, with little evidence to justify the expectation of either a positive or negative performance for this stock relative to most other stocks. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, attractive valuation levels and expanding profit margins. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including feeble growth in the company's earnings per share, deteriorating net income and disappointing return on equity."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- GES's debt-to-equity ratio is very low at 0.01 and is currently below that of the industry average, implying that there has been very successful management of debt levels. To add to this, GES has a quick ratio of 2.32, which demonstrates the ability of the company to cover short-term liquidity needs.
- 38.06% is the gross profit margin for GUESS INC which we consider to be strong. Regardless of GES's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, GES's net profit margin of 8.04% compares favorably to the industry average.
- The company's current return on equity has slightly decreased from the same quarter one year prior. This implies a minor weakness in the organization. In comparison to the other companies in the Specialty Retail industry and the overall market, GUESS INC's return on equity is significantly below that of the industry average and is below that of the S&P 500.
- Net operating cash flow has decreased to $158.71 million or 16.75% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing the cash generation rate to the industry average, the firm's growth is significantly lower.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: GES Ratings Report