Interesting January 2017 Stock Options for WMT

Consistently, one of the more popular stocks people enter into their stock options watchlist at Stock Options Channel is Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (WMT). So this week we highlight one interesting put contract, and one interesting call contract, from the January 2017 expiration for WMT. The put contract our YieldBoost algorithm identified as particularly interesting, is at the $55 strike, which has a bid at the time of this writing of $1.35. Collecting that bid as the premium represents a 2.5% return against the $55 commitment, or a 1.5% annualized rate of return (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost).

START SLIDESHOW:
Top YieldBoost WMT Puts »

Selling a put does not give an investor access to WMT's upside potential the way owning shares would, because the put seller only ends up owning shares in the scenario where the contract is exercised. So unless Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. sees its shares decline 26.4% and the contract is exercised (resulting in a cost basis of $53.65 per share before broker commissions, subtracting the $1.35 from $55), the only upside to the put seller is from collecting that premium for the 1.5% annualized rate of return.

Turning to the other side of the option chain, we highlight one call contract of particular interest for the January 2017 expiration, for shareholders of Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. ( WMT) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 2.6% annualized dividend yield. Selling the covered call at the $85 strike and collecting the premium based on the $2.30 bid, annualizes to an additional 1.9% rate of return against the current stock price (this is what we at Stock Options Channel refer to as the YieldBoost), for a total of 4.5% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $85 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but WMT shares would have to advance 13.7% from current levels for that to happen, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 16.8% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.

START SLIDESHOW:
Top YieldBoost WMT Calls »

The chart below shows the trailing twelve month trading history for Wal-Mart Stores, Inc., highlighting in green where the $55 strike is located relative to that history, and highlighting the $85 strike in red:

Loading+chart++2015+TickerTech.com

The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the January 2017 put or call options highlighted in this article deliver a rate of return that represents good reward for the risks. We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (considering the last 253 trading day WMT historical stock prices using closing values, as well as today's price of $74.72) to be 16%.

More from Stocks

PayPal's Stock Is Poised for an Explosive Move

PayPal's Stock Is Poised for an Explosive Move

Boeing's Blowout Quarter Proves Why There Won't Be a Stock Market Panic

Boeing's Blowout Quarter Proves Why There Won't Be a Stock Market Panic

Twitter Founder Jack Dorsey Deserves a Nice Tweet After Q1 Results

Twitter Founder Jack Dorsey Deserves a Nice Tweet After Q1 Results

Key Numbers for Investors to Watch as Amazon, Microsoft and Intel Report Results

Key Numbers for Investors to Watch as Amazon, Microsoft and Intel Report Results

Twitter Tops Wall Street's Estimates - Here Are the Key Numbers You Need to Know

Twitter Tops Wall Street's Estimates - Here Are the Key Numbers You Need to Know