Interesting January 2017 Stock Options For AUY

Consistently, one of the more popular stocks people enter into their stock options watchlist at Stock Options Channel is Yamana Gold, Inc. ( AUY). So this week we highlight one interesting put contract, and one interesting call contract, from the January 2017 expiration for AUY. The put contract our YieldBoost algorithm identified as particularly interesting, is at the $2.50 strike, which has a bid at the time of this writing of 29 cents. Collecting that bid as the premium represents a 11.6% return against the $2.50 commitment, or a 7.1% annualized rate of return (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost).

START SLIDESHOW:
Top YieldBoost AUY Puts »

Selling a put does not give an investor access to AUY's upside potential the way owning shares would, because the put seller only ends up owning shares in the scenario where the contract is exercised. So unless Yamana Gold, Inc. sees its shares fall 30.4% and the contract is exercised (resulting in a cost basis of $2.21 per share before broker commissions, subtracting the 29 cents from $2.50), the only upside to the put seller is from collecting that premium for the 7.1% annualized rate of return.

Worth considering, is that the annualized 7.1% figure actually exceeds the 1.7% annualized dividend paid by Yamana Gold, Inc. by 5.4%, based on the current share price of $3.58. And yet, if an investor was to buy the stock at the going market price in order to collect the dividend, there is greater downside because the stock would have to lose 30.36% to reach the $2.50 strike price.

Always important when discussing dividends is the fact that, in general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of Yamana Gold, Inc., looking at the dividend history chart for AUY below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 1.7% annualized dividend yield.

AUY+Dividend+History+Chart

Turning to the other side of the option chain, we highlight one call contract of particular interest for the January 2017 expiration, for shareholders of Yamana Gold, Inc. ( AUY) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 1.7% annualized dividend yield. Selling the covered call at the $5.50 strike and collecting the premium based on the 35 cents bid, annualizes to an additional 5.9% rate of return against the current stock price (this is what we at Stock Options Channel refer to as the YieldBoost), for a total of 7.6% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $5.50 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but AUY shares would have to advance 53.2% from current levels for that to occur, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 63% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.

START SLIDESHOW:
Top YieldBoost AUY Calls »

The chart below shows the trailing twelve month trading history for Yamana Gold, Inc., highlighting in green where the $2.50 strike is located relative to that history, and highlighting the $5.50 strike in red:

Loading+chart++2015+TickerTech.com

The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the January 2017 put or call options highlighted in this article deliver a rate of return that represents good reward for the risks. We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for Yamana Gold, Inc. (considering the last 251 trading day AUY historical stock prices using closing values, as well as today's price of $3.58) to be 58%.

If you liked this article you might like

3 Stocks That Could Help You Survive an Inflation Spike

3 Stocks That Could Help You Survive an Inflation Spike

Yamana's Recent Rally Positions AUY for Bullish 'Golden Cross'
Market Recon: It's Obvious the U.S. Consumer Is Far From Being OK

Market Recon: It's Obvious the U.S. Consumer Is Far From Being OK

Week Ahead: Apple Earnings, Jobs Report on the Docket in Busy Start to May

Week Ahead: Apple Earnings, Jobs Report on the Docket in Busy Start to May

These Four Gold Miners Are Ready to Break Higher

These Four Gold Miners Are Ready to Break Higher