How To YieldBoost IQNT From 3.4% To 15.9% Using Options

Shareholders of Inteliquent, Inc. (IQNT) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 3.4% annualized dividend yield can sell the December covered call at the $20 strike and collect the premium based on the $1.20 bid, which annualizes to an additional 12.5% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost), for a total of 15.9% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $20 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but IQNT shares would have to climb 13.9% from current levels for that to occur, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 20.7% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.

START SLIDESHOW:
Top YieldBoost Calls of the S&P 500 »

In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of Inteliquent, Inc., looking at the dividend history chart for IQNT below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 3.4% annualized dividend yield.

IQNT+Dividend+History+Chart

Below is a chart showing IQNT's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $20 strike highlighted in red:

Loading+chart++2015+TickerTech.com

The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the December covered call at the $20 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $20. ( Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for Inteliquent, Inc. (considering the last 251 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $17.54) to be 45%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the IQNT Stock Options page of StockOptionsChannel.com.

In mid-afternoon trading on Monday, the put volume among S&P 500 components was 522,194 contracts, with call volume at 902,117, for a put:call ratio of 0.58 so far for the day. Compared to the long-term median put:call ratio of .65, that represents high call volume relative to puts; in other words, buyers are showing a preference for calls in options trading so far today. Find out which 15 call and put options traders are talking about today.

More from Stocks

Stocks Loses Steam as Yields Hover Near 3% Threshold

Stocks Loses Steam as Yields Hover Near 3% Threshold

How Elon Musk Controls Tesla With Only a Minority Ownership Stake

How Elon Musk Controls Tesla With Only a Minority Ownership Stake

Tesla Is Taking Apple's Ecosystem Model Up a Notch

Tesla Is Taking Apple's Ecosystem Model Up a Notch

After Facebook, Google's Data Practices May Be Under Fire Next

After Facebook, Google's Data Practices May Be Under Fire Next

Video: Jim Cramer on What Trade Tariffs and Rising Rates Mean for Stocks

Video: Jim Cramer on What Trade Tariffs and Rising Rates Mean for Stocks