While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends which could subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 3 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Buy."USA Compression Partners Dividend Yield: 9.30% USA Compression Partners (NYSE: USAC) shares currently have a dividend yield of 9.30%. USA Compression Partners, LP provides natural gas compression services under term contracts with customers in the oil and gas industry in the United States. It engineers, designs, operates, services, and repairs its compression units and maintains related support inventory and equipment. The company has a P/E ratio of 30.00. The average volume for USA Compression Partners has been 86,400 shares per day over the past 30 days. USA Compression Partners has a market cap of $713.2 million and is part of the energy industry. Shares are up 34.4% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Friday. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: See inside Jim Cramer's multi-million dollar charitable trust portfolio to see the stocks he thinks could be potential winners. Click here to see his holdings for 14-days FREE. TheStreet Ratings rates USA Compression Partners as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, impressive record of earnings per share growth, compelling growth in net income, expanding profit margins and good cash flow from operations. We feel its strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had lackluster performance in the stock itself. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 1.7%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 29.5%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- USA COMPRESSION PRTNRS LP reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, USA COMPRESSION PRTNRS LP increased its bottom line by earning $0.58 versus $0.32 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($0.63 versus $0.58).
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Energy Equipment & Services industry. The net income increased by 192.6% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $3.92 million to $11.46 million.
- The gross profit margin for USA COMPRESSION PRTNRS LP is currently very high, coming in at 70.44%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 17.62% significantly outperformed against the industry average.
- Net operating cash flow has increased to $14.51 million or 44.13% when compared to the same quarter last year. The firm also exceeded the industry average cash flow growth rate of 12.24%.
- You can view the full USA Compression Partners Ratings Report.
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 5.8%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 33.0%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- The gross profit margin for GLADSTONE INVESTMENT CORP/DE is currently very high, coming in at 72.39%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 65.63% significantly outperformed against the industry average.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Capital Markets industry. The net income increased by 171.0% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from -$10.69 million to $7.59 million.
- GLADSTONE INVESTMENT CORP/DE reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, GLADSTONE INVESTMENT CORP/DE swung to a loss, reporting -$0.06 versus $0.63 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($0.75 versus -$0.06).
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. When compared to other companies in the Capital Markets industry and the overall market, GLADSTONE INVESTMENT CORP/DE's return on equity is below that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- You can view the full Gladstone Investment Ratings Report.
- NTL's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 2.2%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 7.1%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Diversified Telecommunication Services industry. The net income increased by 90.5% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $62.12 million to $118.36 million.
- NORTEL INVERSORA SA has improved earnings per share by 16.7% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has not demonstrated a clear trend in earnings over the past 2 years, making it difficult to accurately predict earnings for the coming year. During the past fiscal year, NORTEL INVERSORA SA reported lower earnings of $1.14 versus $1.28 in the prior year.
- In its most recent trading session, NTL has closed at a price level that was not very different from its closing price of one year earlier. This is probably due to its weak earnings growth as well as other mixed factors. Looking ahead, although the push and pull of the overall market trend could certainly make a critical difference, we do not see any strong reason stemming from the company's fundamentals that would cause a continuation of last year's decline. In fact, the stock is now selling for less than others in its industry in relation to its current earnings.
- The company's current return on equity has slightly decreased from the same quarter one year prior. This implies a minor weakness in the organization. In comparison to the other companies in the Diversified Telecommunication Services industry and the overall market, NORTEL INVERSORA SA's return on equity is significantly below that of the industry average and is below that of the S&P 500.
- You can view the full Nortel Inversora Ratings Report.
- Our dividend calendar.