While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends which could subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 3 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Hold."Carlyle Group L P Dividend Yield: 4.30% Carlyle Group L P (NASDAQ: CG) shares currently have a dividend yield of 4.30%. The Carlyle Group LP is an investment firm specializing in direct and fund of fund investments. The company has a P/E ratio of 22.39. The average volume for Carlyle Group L P has been 769,900 shares per day over the past 30 days. Carlyle Group L P has a market cap of $2.1 billion and is part of the financial services industry. Shares are up 10.7% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Friday. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: See inside Jim Cramer's multi-million dollar charitable trust portfolio to see the stocks he thinks could be potential winners. Click here to see his holdings for 14-days FREE. TheStreet Ratings rates Carlyle Group L P as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its increase in net income and growth in earnings per share. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including a generally disappointing performance in the stock itself and disappointing return on equity. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Capital Markets industry. The net income increased by 60.6% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $24.60 million to $39.50 million.
- CARLYLE GROUP LP has improved earnings per share by 31.7% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, CARLYLE GROUP LP reported lower earnings of $1.26 versus $1.80 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($2.64 versus $1.26).
- CG, with its decline in revenue, slightly underperformed the industry average of 5.6%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 0.9%. The declining revenue has not hurt the company's bottom line, with increasing earnings per share.
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Capital Markets industry and the overall market, CARLYLE GROUP LP's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- In its most recent trading session, CG has closed at a price level that was not very different from its closing price of one year earlier. This is probably due to its weak earnings growth as well as other mixed factors. Looking ahead, we do not see anything in this company's numbers that would change the one-year trend. It was down over the last twelve months; and it could be down again in the next twelve. Naturally, a bull or bear market could sway the movement of this stock.
- You can view the full Carlyle Group L P Ratings Report.
- Despite its growing revenue, the company underperformed as compared with the industry average of 8.4%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 3.2%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displaying stagnant earnings per share.
- Net operating cash flow has increased to $71.13 million or 22.31% when compared to the same quarter last year. The firm also exceeded the industry average cash flow growth rate of 3.10%.
- RETAIL PPTYS OF AMERICA INC reported flat earnings per share in the most recent quarter. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. We feel it is likely to report a decline in earnings in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, RETAIL PPTYS OF AMERICA INC turned its bottom line around by earning $0.15 versus -$0.20 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 26.7% in earnings ($0.11 versus $0.15).
- The gross profit margin for RETAIL PPTYS OF AMERICA INC is currently lower than what is desirable, coming in at 26.97%. It has decreased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 8.53% significantly trails the industry average.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed compared to the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) industry average, but is greater than that of the S&P 500. The net income has decreased by 7.4% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, dropping from $14.13 million to $13.08 million.
- You can view the full Retail Properties of America Ratings Report.
- CIM's very impressive revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 8.4%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues leaped by 82.1%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) industry and the overall market, CHIMERA INVESTMENT CORP's return on equity exceeds that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The gross profit margin for CHIMERA INVESTMENT CORP is currently very high, coming in at 89.26%. Regardless of CIM's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 25.56% trails the industry average.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and greatly underperformed compared to the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) industry average. The net income has significantly decreased by 33.2% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $100.37 million to $67.04 million.
- Net operating cash flow has decreased to $34.01 million or 46.88% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing the cash generation rate to the industry average, the firm's growth is significantly lower.
- You can view the full Chimera Investment Ratings Report.
- Our dividend calendar.