While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends which could subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 3 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Buy."Blueknight Energy Partners Dividend Yield: 7.20% Blueknight Energy Partners (NASDAQ: BKEP) shares currently have a dividend yield of 7.20%. Blueknight Energy Partners, L.P. provides integrated terminalling, storage, processing, gathering, and transportation services for companies engaged in the production, distribution, and marketing of crude oil and asphalt products in the United States. The company has a P/E ratio of 129.83. The average volume for Blueknight Energy Partners has been 60,900 shares per day over the past 30 days. Blueknight Energy Partners has a market cap of $256.4 million and is part of the energy industry. Shares are up 17.1% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Friday. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: See inside Jim Cramer's multi-million dollar charitable trust portfolio to see the stocks he thinks could be potential winners. Click here to see his holdings for 14-days FREE. TheStreet Ratings rates Blueknight Energy Partners as a buy. Among the primary strengths of the company is its expanding profit margins over time. We feel its strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had lackluster performance in the stock itself. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- 39.23% is the gross profit margin for BLUEKNIGHT ENERGY PRTNRS LP which we consider to be strong. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Regardless of the strong results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 3.72% trails the industry average.
- Despite the weak revenue results, BKEP has outperformed against the industry average of 38.5%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 8.8%. The declining revenue appears to have seeped down to the company's bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- BLUEKNIGHT ENERGY PRTNRS LP has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. Earnings per share have declined over the last two years. We anticipate that this should continue in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, BLUEKNIGHT ENERGY PRTNRS LP reported lower earnings of $0.15 versus $0.24 in the prior year. This year, the market expects earnings to be in line with last year ($0.15 versus $0.15).
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed against the S&P 500 and did not exceed that of the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 59.4% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $3.89 million to $1.58 million.
- The share price of BLUEKNIGHT ENERGY PRTNRS LP has not done very well: it is down 11.33% and has underperformed the S&P 500, in part reflecting the company's sharply declining earnings per share when compared to the year-earlier quarter. Despite the decline in its share price over the last year, this stock is still more expensive (when compared to its current earnings) than most other companies in its industry. We feel, however, that other strengths this company displays compensate for this.
- You can view the full Blueknight Energy Partners Ratings Report.
- The revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 38.5%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 3.4%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry and the overall market, ALLIANCE HOLDINGS GP LP's return on equity significantly exceeds that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- Net operating cash flow has increased to $161.06 million or 15.42% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, ALLIANCE HOLDINGS GP LP has also vastly surpassed the industry average cash flow growth rate of -53.34%.
- 38.99% is the gross profit margin for ALLIANCE HOLDINGS GP LP which we consider to be strong. Regardless of AHGP's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, AHGP's net profit margin of 11.69% compares favorably to the industry average.
- You can view the full Alliance Holdings GP Ratings Report.
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 5.6%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 20.0%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- The gross profit margin for NEW MOUNTAIN FINANCE CORP is rather high; currently it is at 67.57%. It has increased significantly from the same period last year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 62.71% significantly outperformed against the industry average.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly increased by 166.27% to $24.27 million when compared to the same quarter last year. Despite an increase in cash flow, NEW MOUNTAIN FINANCE CORP's cash flow growth rate is still lower than the industry average growth rate of 190.66%.
- NEW MOUNTAIN FINANCE CORP's earnings per share declined by 26.0% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has suffered a declining pattern of earnings per share over the past two years. However, we anticipate this trend to reverse over the coming year. During the past fiscal year, NEW MOUNTAIN FINANCE CORP reported lower earnings of $0.87 versus $1.79 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.37 versus $0.87).
- Compared to where it was 12 months ago, the stock is up, but it has so far lagged the appreciation in the S&P 500. The stock's price rise over the last year has driven it to a level which is somewhat expensive compared to the rest of its industry. We feel, however, that other strengths this company displays justify these higher price levels.
- You can view the full New Mountain Finance Ratings Report.
- Our dividend calendar.