Shareholders of Daktronics Inc. (DAKT - Get Report) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 3.7% annualized dividend yield can sell the January 2016 covered call at the $12.50 strike and collect the premium based on the 40 cents bid, which annualizes to an additional 5.7% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost), for a total of 9.4% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $12.50 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but DAKT shares would have to climb 16.3% from current levels for that to occur, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 20% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of Daktronics Inc., looking at the dividend history chart for DAKT below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 3.7% annualized dividend yield. Below is a chart showing DAKT's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $12.50 strike highlighted in red: The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the January 2016 covered call at the $12.50 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $12.50. ( Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for Daktronics Inc. (considering the last 252 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $10.75) to be 40%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the DAKT Stock Options page of StockOptionsChannel.com. In mid-afternoon trading on Friday, the put volume among S&P 500 components was 521,645 contracts, with call volume at 952,559, for a put:call ratio of 0.55 so far for the day. Compared to the long-term median put:call ratio of .65, that represents very high call volume relative to puts; in other words, buyers are preferring calls in options trading so far today. Find out which 15 call and put options traders are talking about today.
More from Stocks
Novartis Still a Buy Despite Controversy Over Blockbuster Drug
Despite the issues that have bubbled up related to its breakthrough drug for spinal muscular atrophy, Zolgensma, Novartis "has the newest pipeline with many drugs just beginning to have an impact on the company's bottom line," Cramer told members of his Action Alerts PLUS club for investors during an exclusive video-conference call.
Could Netflix Survive on Just Its Own Original Content?
Netflix says that viewers shell out for original shows like Stranger Things and Orange is the New Black -- but production costs have ballooned roughly 30% since last year, which has many investors spooked.
Jim Cramer: Mastercard Is One Thing Money Can Buy
The slogan was: There are some things money can't buy; for everything else, there's Mastercard. Fast forward more than two decades and the world of fintech and digital payment processing has changed, and Mastercard has changed right along with it.