While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends which could subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 3 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Hold." Turkcell Iletisim Hizmetleri AS Dividend Yield: 14.50% Turkcell Iletisim Hizmetleri AS (NYSE: TKC) shares currently have a dividend yield of 14.50%. Turkcell Iletisim Hizmetleri AS establishes and operates a Global System for Mobile Communications (GSM) network in Turkey and regional states. It operates in four segments: Turkcell, Euroasia, Belarusian Telecom, and Superonline. The company has a P/E ratio of 8.46. The average volume for Turkcell Iletisim Hizmetleri AS has been 484,700 shares per day over the past 30 days. Turkcell Iletisim Hizmetleri AS has a market cap of $10.4 billion and is part of the telecommunications industry. Shares are down 23.1% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Wednesday. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: See inside Jim Cramer's multi-million dollar charitable trust portfolio to see the stocks he thinks could be potential winners. Click here to see his holdings for 14-days FREE. TheStreet Ratings rates Turkcell Iletisim Hizmetleri AS as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, reasonable valuation levels and expanding profit margins. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including feeble growth in the company's earnings per share, deteriorating net income and disappointing return on equity. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- TKC's debt-to-equity ratio is very low at 0.22 and is currently below that of the industry average, implying that there has been very successful management of debt levels. Along with this, the company maintains a quick ratio of 2.57, which clearly demonstrates the ability to cover short-term cash needs.
- 48.91% is the gross profit margin for TURKCELL ILETISIM HIZMET which we consider to be strong. Regardless of TKC's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 8.45% trails the industry average.
- TURKCELL ILETISIM HIZMET has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. Earnings per share have declined over the last two years. We anticipate that this should continue in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, TURKCELL ILETISIM HIZMET reported lower earnings of $0.98 versus $1.40 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 4.1% in earnings ($0.94 versus $0.98).
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Wireless Telecommunication Services industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 53.7% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $253.99 million to $117.53 million.
- You can view the full Turkcell Iletisim Hizmetleri AS Ratings Report.