NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Cablevision (CVC) shares are up 14.77% to $24.01 in afternoon trading on Wednesday after the cable television provider had its rating upgraded to "buy" from "hold" by analysts at Pivotal Research Group today.
The firm also raised the company's price target to $31 from $18, suggesting a potential 22.5% increase from the stock's current trading price.
The stock is also being helped today by reports that the industry may be consolidating as French cable company Altice SA (ATC) is preparing to bid for Time Warner Cable (TWC), according to Reuters.
Negotiations between the two companies are still in their early stages and it is possible that no deal is reached, according to Reuters sources. Neither company has commented on the reports.
TheStreet Ratings team rates CABLEVISION SYS CORP as a Hold with a ratings score of C. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate CABLEVISION SYS CORP (CVC) a HOLD. The primary factors that have impacted our rating are mixed - some indicating strength, some showing weaknesses, with little evidence to justify the expectation of either a positive or negative performance for this stock relative to most other stocks. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, solid stock price performance and expanding profit margins. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including deteriorating net income, weak operating cash flow and feeble growth in the company's earnings per share."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- Despite its growing revenue, the company underperformed as compared with the industry average of 4.2%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 2.5%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- Looking at where the stock is today compared to one year ago, we find that it is not only higher, but it has also clearly outperformed the rise in the S&P 500 over the same period, despite the company's weak earnings results. Despite the fact that it has already risen in the past year, there is currently no conclusive evidence that warrants the purchase or sale of this stock.
- The gross profit margin for CABLEVISION SYS CORP is rather high; currently it is at 50.71%. Regardless of CVC's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 2.76% trails the industry average.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Media industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 50.3% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $89.76 million to $44.63 million.
- Net operating cash flow has decreased to $215.34 million or 24.04% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing the cash generation rate to the industry average, the firm's growth is significantly lower.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: CVC Ratings Report