How To YieldBoost BCO To 9.2% Using Options

Shareholders of Brinks Co (BCO) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 1.2% annualized dividend yield can sell the December covered call at the $35 strike and collect the premium based on the $1.50 bid, which annualizes to an additional 8% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost), for a total of 9.2% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $35 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but BCO shares would have to climb 8% from current levels for that to happen, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 12.6% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.

START SLIDESHOW:
Top YieldBoost Calls of the S&P 500 »

In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of Brinks Co , looking at the dividend history chart for BCO below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 1.2% annualized dividend yield.

BCO+Dividend+History+Chart

Below is a chart showing BCO's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $35 strike highlighted in red:

Loading+chart++2015+TickerTech.com

The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the December covered call at the $35 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $35. ( Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for Brinks Co (considering the last 252 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $32.38) to be 31%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the BCO Stock Options page of StockOptionsChannel.com.

More from Stocks

Quick Read: 3 Things for Investors to Know Before Wednesday's Trading Session

Quick Read: 3 Things for Investors to Know Before Wednesday's Trading Session

Replay: Jim Cramer on the Markets, Oil, General Electric, Zillow and Micron

Replay: Jim Cramer on the Markets, Oil, General Electric, Zillow and Micron

Pegasystems Founder Explains Why He Has One of the Hottest Tech Stocks Around

Pegasystems Founder Explains Why He Has One of the Hottest Tech Stocks Around

Micron Shares Soar; Chipmaker Is 'Managing for Profitability' Now, Says Analyst

Micron Shares Soar; Chipmaker Is 'Managing for Profitability' Now, Says Analyst

Dow Slips 178 Points; S&P 500 and Nasdaq Also Decline

Dow Slips 178 Points; S&P 500 and Nasdaq Also Decline