While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends which could subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 3 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Hold." AG Mortgage Investment Dividend Yield: 12.70% AG Mortgage Investment (NYSE: MITT) shares currently have a dividend yield of 12.70%. AG Mortgage Investment Trust, Inc., a real estate investment trust, focuses on investing, acquiring, and managing a portfolio of residential mortgage assets, other real estate-related securities, and financial assets. The company has a P/E ratio of 6.94. The average volume for AG Mortgage Investment has been 209,700 shares per day over the past 30 days. AG Mortgage Investment has a market cap of $536.0 million and is part of the real estate industry. Shares are up 2% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Tuesday. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: See inside Jim Cramer's multi-million dollar charitable trust portfolio to see the stocks he thinks could be potential winners. Click here to see his holdings for 14-days FREE. TheStreet Ratings rates AG Mortgage Investment as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its attractive valuation levels, expanding profit margins and notable return on equity. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including unimpressive growth in net income and feeble growth in the company's earnings per share. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The gross profit margin for AG MORTGAGE INVESTMENT TRUST is currently very high, coming in at 77.50%. Regardless of MITT's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, MITT's net profit margin of 46.22% significantly outperformed against the industry.
- The revenue fell significantly faster than the industry average of 8.4%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues fell by 29.5%. Weakness in the company's revenue seems to have hurt the bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- AG MORTGAGE INVESTMENT TRUST has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. We feel it is likely to report a decline in earnings in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, AG MORTGAGE INVESTMENT TRUST turned its bottom line around by earning $3.38 versus -$1.60 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 26.3% in earnings ($2.49 versus $3.38).
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 59.1% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $31.19 million to $12.76 million.
- You can view the full AG Mortgage Investment Ratings Report.
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 5.2%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 19.5%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- The gross profit margin for GARRISON CAPITAL INC is currently very high, coming in at 70.72%. It has increased significantly from the same period last year. Regardless of the strong results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 22.04% trails the industry average.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly increased by 82.15% to $25.83 million when compared to the same quarter last year. Despite an increase in cash flow of 82.15%, GARRISON CAPITAL INC is still growing at a significantly lower rate than the industry average of 227.79%.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Capital Markets industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 72.2% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $10.68 million to $2.97 million.
- The company's current return on equity has slightly decreased from the same quarter one year prior. This implies a minor weakness in the organization. When compared to other companies in the Capital Markets industry and the overall market, GARRISON CAPITAL INC's return on equity is below that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- You can view the full Garrison Capital Ratings Report.
- VOC has no debt to speak of therefore resulting in a debt-to-equity ratio of zero, which we consider to be a relatively favorable sign.
- The gross profit margin for VOC ENERGY TRUST is currently very high, coming in at 100.00%. VOC has managed to maintain the strong profit margin since the same quarter of last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, VOC's net profit margin of 99.38% significantly outperformed against the industry.
- Current return on equity exceeded its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a clear sign of strength within the company. In comparison to other companies in the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry and the overall market on the basis of return on equity, VOC ENERGY TRUST has underperformed in comparison with the industry average, but has greatly exceeded that of the S&P 500.
- The change in net income from the same quarter one year ago has exceeded that of the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry average, but is less than that of the S&P 500. The net income has significantly decreased by 30.2% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $9.01 million to $6.29 million.
- Despite any intermediate fluctuations, we have only bad news to report on this stock's performance over the last year: it has tumbled by 58.68%, worse than the S&P 500's performance. Consistent with the plunge in the stock price, the company's earnings per share are down 30.18% compared to the year-earlier quarter. Naturally, the overall market trend is bound to be a significant factor. However, in one sense, the stock's sharp decline last year is a positive for future investors, making it cheaper (in proportion to its earnings over the past year) than most other stocks in its industry. But due to other concerns, we feel the stock is still not a good buy right now.
- You can view the full VOC Energy Ratings Report.
- Our dividend calendar.