YieldBoost CryoLife To 7.4% Using Options

Shareholders of CryoLife, Inc. ( CRY) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 1.1% annualized dividend yield can sell the January 2016 covered call at the $12.50 strike and collect the premium based on the 45 cents bid, which annualizes to an additional 6.3% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost), for a total of 7.4% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $12.50 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but CRY shares would have to climb 15% from current levels for that to happen, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 19.1% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.

START SLIDESHOW:
Top YieldBoost Calls of the S&P 500 »

In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of CryoLife, Inc., looking at the dividend history chart for CRY below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 1.1% annualized dividend yield.

CRY+Dividend+History+Chart

Below is a chart showing CRY's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $12.50 strike highlighted in red:

Loading+chart++2015+TickerTech.com

The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the January 2016 covered call at the $12.50 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $12.50. ( Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for CryoLife, Inc. (considering the last 252 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $10.95) to be 33%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the CRY Stock Options page of StockOptionsChannel.com.

If you liked this article you might like

Today's Strong And Under The Radar Stock Is Cryolife (CRY)

Today's Strong And Under The Radar Stock Is Cryolife (CRY)

Insider Trading Alert - JBHT, CRY And LII Traded By Insiders

Insider Trading Alert - JBHT, CRY And LII Traded By Insiders

Here Is Why These 2 Medical Equipment Stocks Are Buys for Growth

Here Is Why These 2 Medical Equipment Stocks Are Buys for Growth

Insider Trading Alert - CRTO, EPAY And CRY Traded By Insiders

Insider Trading Alert - CRTO, EPAY And CRY Traded By Insiders

Insider Trading Alert - CME, CRY And VFC Traded By Insiders

Insider Trading Alert - CME, CRY And VFC Traded By Insiders