NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Biotech, driven by the demand for effective treatments and new cures, is one of the hottest investment areas today. There has even been speculation of a biotech bubble and speculation can often drive stock movement.
The sector has been growing at an annual rate of 9% since 1997, well above the overall economy.
The U.S. dominates the Biotech industry, both in terms of number of firms (6,862) and research and development spending ($26 billion in 2014).
So, what are the best biotech companies investors should be buying? Here are the top three, according to TheStreet Ratings, TheStreet's proprietary ratings tool.
TheStreet Ratings projects a stock's total return potential over a 12-month period including both price appreciation and dividends. Based on 32 major data points, TheStreet Ratings uses a quantitative approach to rating over 4,300 stocks to predict return potential for the next year. The model is both objective, using elements such as volatility of past operating revenues, financial strength, and company cash flows, and subjective, including expected equities market returns, future interest rates, implied industry outlook and forecasted company earnings.
Buying an S&P 500 stock that TheStreet Ratings rated a "buy" yielded a 16.56% return in 2014 beating the S&P 500 Total Return Index by 304 basis points. Buying a Russell 2000 stock that TheStreet Ratings rated a "buy" yielded a 9.5% return in 2014, beating the Russell 2000 index, including dividends reinvested, by 460 basis points last year.
Check out which three biotech companies made the list. And when you're done be sure to read about which online retail and e-commerce companies to buy now. Year-to-date returns are based on May 18, 2015 closing prices. The highest-rated stock appears last -- read more to see which one is No. 1.
Biogen Inc. discovers, develops, manufactures, and markets therapies for the treatment of neurological, autoimmune, and hematologic disorders in the United States and internationally.
"We rate BIOGEN INC (BIIB) a BUY. This is based on the convergence of positive investment measures, which should help this stock outperform the majority of stocks that we rate. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, notable return on equity, reasonable valuation levels and solid stock price performance. Although the company may harbor some minor weaknesses, we feel they are unlikely to have a significant impact on results."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- BIIB's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 19.9%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 20.0%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- BIIB's debt-to-equity ratio is very low at 0.05 and is currently below that of the industry average, implying that there has been very successful management of debt levels. To add to this, BIIB has a quick ratio of 1.98, which demonstrates the ability of the company to cover short-term liquidity needs.
- Current return on equity exceeded its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a clear sign of strength within the company. When compared to other companies in the Biotechnology industry and the overall market, BIOGEN INC's return on equity exceeds that of the industry average and significantly exceeds that of the S&P 500.
- Powered by its strong earnings growth of 72.77% and other important driving factors, this stock has surged by 33.00% over the past year, outperforming the rise in the S&P 500 Index during the same period. Regarding the stock's future course, although almost any stock can fall in a broad market decline, BIIB should continue to move higher despite the fact that it has already enjoyed a very nice gain in the past year.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: BIIB Ratings Report