- JCP has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $101.5 million.
- JCP is up 5.4% today from today's close.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in JCP with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for JCP NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on JCP: J. C. Penney Company, Inc., through its subsidiary, J. C. Penney Corporation, Inc., sells merchandise through department stores in the United States. Currently there are 2 analysts that rate JC Penney a buy, 6 analysts rate it a sell, and 9 rate it a hold. The average volume for JC Penney has been 12.7 million shares per day over the past 30 days. JC Penney has a market cap of $2.7 billion and is part of the services sector and retail industry. The stock has a beta of 1.77 and a short float of 33.6% with 8.46 days to cover. Shares are up 35% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Tuesday. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: See inside Jim Cramer's multi-million dollar charitable trust portfolio to see the stocks he thinks could be potential winners. Click here to see his holdings for 14-days FREE.
TheStreetRatings.com Analysis:TheStreet Quant Ratings rates JC Penney as a sell. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its unimpressive growth in net income, generally high debt management risk, poor profit margins and generally disappointing historical performance in the stock itself. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed against the S&P 500 and did not exceed that of the Multiline Retail industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 268.6% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $35.00 million to -$59.00 million.
- The debt-to-equity ratio is very high at 2.83 and currently higher than the industry average, implying increased risk associated with the management of debt levels within the company. To add to this, JCP has a quick ratio of 0.59, this demonstrates the lack of ability of the company to cover short-term liquidity needs.
- The gross profit margin for PENNEY (J C) CO is currently lower than what is desirable, coming in at 33.75%. Regardless of JCP's low profit margin, it has managed to increase from the same period last year.
- The share price of PENNEY (J C) CO has not done very well: it is down 5.39% and has underperformed the S&P 500, in part reflecting the company's sharply declining earnings per share when compared to the year-earlier quarter. The fact that the stock is now selling for less than others in its industry in relation to its current earnings is not reason enough to justify a buy rating at this time.
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Multiline Retail industry and the overall market, PENNEY (J C) CO's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- You can view the full JC Penney Ratings Report.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: See inside Jim Cramer's multi-million dollar charitable trust portfolio to see the stocks he thinks could be potential winners. Click here to see his holdings for 14-days FREE.