- VRTX has more that 20x the normal benchmarked social activity for this time of the day compared to its average of 15.52 mentions/day.
- VRTX has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $210.4 million.
Identifying stocks with 'Unusual Social Activity' tends to be a valuable process for traders looking to capitalize on the 'talk of the town' stocks that are basking in far more attention from the StockTwits financial community than normal. Good press? Bad press? It ultimately doesn't matter if it's good or bad if you know how to trade around the sentiment. Certain hedge funds use such data for their proprietary algorithms and it is not uncommon to see shared social sentiment play itself out in a stock's price trend. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in VRTX with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for VRTX NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on VRTX: Vertex Pharmaceuticals Incorporated engages in discovering, developing, manufacturing, and commercializing small molecule drugs for patients with serious diseases in specialty markets. Currently there are 8 analysts that rate Vertex Pharmaceuticals a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 10 rate it a hold. The average volume for Vertex Pharmaceuticals has been 1.7 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Vertex has a market cap of $30.2 billion and is part of the health care sector and drugs industry. The stock has a beta of -0.73 and a short float of 2.1% with 2.54 days to cover. Shares are up 4.4% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Tuesday. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: See inside Jim Cramer's multi-million dollar charitable trust portfolio to see the stocks he thinks could be potential winners. Click here to see his holdings for 14-days FREE. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Vertex Pharmaceuticals as a sell. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its disappointing return on equity and weak operating cash flow. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Biotechnology industry and the overall market, VERTEX PHARMACEUTICALS INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- Net operating cash flow has decreased to -$207.18 million or 17.87% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing the cash generation rate to the industry average, the firm's growth is significantly lower.
- The company, on the basis of net income growth from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed compared to the Biotechnology industry average, but is greater than that of the S&P 500. The net income increased by 14.6% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, going from -$232.46 million to -$198.61 million.
- VERTEX PHARMACEUTICALS INC has improved earnings per share by 17.0% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, VERTEX PHARMACEUTICALS INC reported poor results of -$3.14 versus -$2.29 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings (-$2.08 versus -$3.14).
- VRTX's debt-to-equity ratio of 0.85 is somewhat low overall, but it is high when compared to the industry average, implying that the management of the debt levels should be evaluated further. Even though the debt-to-equity ratio shows mixed results, the company's quick ratio of 4.17 is very high and demonstrates very strong liquidity.
- You can view the full Vertex Pharmaceuticals Ratings Report.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: See inside Jim Cramer's multi-million dollar charitable trust portfolio to see the stocks he thinks could be potential winners. Click here to see his holdings for 14-days FREE.