NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of Citigroup Inc (C) are declining, lower by 0.29% to $53.87 in late afternoon trading Monday, following reports that the bank may plead guilty to an antitrust charge, according to Reuters.
Citigroup has been under investigation by the Department of Justice for its dealings in foreign exchange markets.
The company is one of six major banks that have been under investigation by global authorities, for trying to manipulate rates in the $5 trillion a day foreign exchange market, Reuters added.
The related fine for Citigroup would likely not exceed $1 billion, according to Bloomberg.
Citigroup maintains its estimated potential unreserved litigation costs at $4 billion, Reuters noted.
New York City-based Citigroup is a financial services holding company engaged in providing financial products and services, including consumer banking and credit, corporate and investment banking, securities brokerage, transaction services and wealth management.
Separately, TheStreet Ratings team rates CITIGROUP INC as a Buy with a ratings score of B. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate CITIGROUP INC (C) a BUY. This is driven by some important positives, which we believe should have a greater impact than any weaknesses, and should give investors a better performance opportunity than most stocks we cover. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its increase in net income, solid stock price performance, growth in earnings per share and expanding profit margins. We feel its strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had somewhat disappointing return on equity."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- The company, on the basis of net income growth from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly outperformed against the S&P 500 and exceeded that of the Commercial Banks industry average. The net income increased by 21.0% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, going from $3,943.00 million to $4,770.00 million.
- The stock has risen over the past year as investors have generally rewarded the company for its earnings growth and other positive factors like the ones we have cited in this report. The stock's price rise over the last year has driven it to a level which is somewhat expensive compared to the rest of its industry. We feel, however, that other strengths this company displays justify these higher price levels.
- CITIGROUP INC has improved earnings per share by 23.8% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, CITIGROUP INC reported lower earnings of $2.19 versus $4.25 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($5.47 versus $2.19).
- 38.02% is the gross profit margin for CITIGROUP INC which we consider to be strong. Regardless of C's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 20.95% trails the industry average.
- C, with its decline in revenue, slightly underperformed the industry average of 0.1%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 4.3%. The declining revenue has not hurt the company's bottom line, with increasing earnings per share.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: C Ratings Report