Strategy To YieldBoost Shenandoah Telecommunications To 12% Using Options

Shareholders of Shenandoah Telecommunications Co. ( SHEN) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 1.5% annualized dividend yield can sell the October covered call at the $35 strike and collect the premium based on the $1.45 bid, which annualizes to an additional 10.5% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost), for a total of 12% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $35 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but SHEN shares would have to advance 11.7% from current levels for that to occur, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 16.3% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.

START SLIDESHOW:
Top YieldBoost Calls of the S&P 500 »

In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of Shenandoah Telecommunications Co., looking at the dividend history chart for SHEN below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 1.5% annualized dividend yield.

SHEN+Dividend+History+Chart

Below is a chart showing SHEN's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $35 strike highlighted in red:

Loading+chart++2015+TickerTech.com

The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the October covered call at the $35 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $35. ( Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for Shenandoah Telecommunications Co. (considering the last 252 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $31.33) to be 36%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the SHEN Stock Options page of StockOptionsChannel.com.

In mid-afternoon trading on Friday, the put volume among S&P 500 components was 694,087 contracts, with call volume at 1.20M, for a put:call ratio of 0.58 so far for the day. Compared to the long-term median put:call ratio of .65, that represents high call volume relative to puts; in other words, buyers are showing a preference for calls in options trading so far today. Find out which 15 call and put options traders are talking about today.

If you liked this article you might like

FANG Stocks Only Outperform in Odd Years: Here Are 18 Alternative Picks for 2018

FANG Stocks Only Outperform in Odd Years: Here Are 18 Alternative Picks for 2018

Analysts' Actions -- American Airlines, Affiliated Managers, Shenandoah, Tandy Leather and More

Analysts' Actions -- American Airlines, Affiliated Managers, Shenandoah, Tandy Leather and More

Health Care, Banks Lead Game Strategy for Next Week: Cramer's 'Mad Money' Recap (Friday 1/6/17)

Health Care, Banks Lead Game Strategy for Next Week: Cramer's 'Mad Money' Recap (Friday 1/6/17)

5 Stocks to Trade for Big Breakout Gains

5 Stocks to Trade for Big Breakout Gains

Shenandoah Telecommunications (SHEN) Weak On High Volume

Shenandoah Telecommunications (SHEN) Weak On High Volume