While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends which could subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 3 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Hold."Spirit Realty Capital Dividend Yield: 6.10% Spirit Realty Capital (NYSE: SRC) shares currently have a dividend yield of 6.10%. Spirit Realty Capital, Inc is a publicly traded real estate investment trust. The average volume for Spirit Realty Capital has been 5,441,700 shares per day over the past 30 days. Spirit Realty Capital has a market cap of $4.9 billion and is part of the real estate industry. Shares are down 7% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Thursday. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: See inside Jim Cramer's multi-million dollar charitable trust portfolio to see the stocks he thinks could be potential winners. Click here to see his holdings for 14-days FREE. TheStreet Ratings rates Spirit Realty Capital as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, growth in earnings per share and expanding profit margins. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including deteriorating net income, disappointing return on equity and weak operating cash flow. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- SRC's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 9.8%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 11.2%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- SPIRIT REALTY CAPITAL INC reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. This trend suggests that the performance of the business is improving. During the past fiscal year, SPIRIT REALTY CAPITAL INC continued to lose money by earning -$0.10 versus -$0.11 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($0.19 versus -$0.10).
- The gross profit margin for SPIRIT REALTY CAPITAL INC is rather high; currently it is at 51.22%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Regardless of the strong results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 22.03% trails the industry average.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and greatly underperformed compared to the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) industry average. The net income has decreased by 21.7% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, dropping from $43.59 million to $34.11 million.
- The company's current return on equity has slightly decreased from the same quarter one year prior. This implies a minor weakness in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) industry and the overall market, SPIRIT REALTY CAPITAL INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- You can view the full Spirit Realty Capital Ratings Report.
- Despite its growing revenue, the company underperformed as compared with the industry average of 6.5%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 0.4%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- GRMN has no debt to speak of therefore resulting in a debt-to-equity ratio of zero, which we consider to be a relatively favorable sign. To add to this, GRMN has a quick ratio of 2.27, which demonstrates the ability of the company to cover short-term liquidity needs.
- Current return on equity is lower than its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a clear sign of weakness within the company. When compared to other companies in the Household Durables industry and the overall market, GARMIN LTD's return on equity is below that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The share price of GARMIN LTD has not done very well: it is down 20.86% and has underperformed the S&P 500, in part reflecting the company's sharply declining earnings per share when compared to the year-earlier quarter. Looking ahead, other than the push or pull of the broad market, we do not see anything in the company's numbers that may help reverse the decline experienced over the past 12 months. Despite the past decline, the stock is still selling for more than most others in its industry.
- You can view the full Garmin Ratings Report.
- RDS.B's debt-to-equity ratio is very low at 0.26 and is currently below that of the industry average, implying that there has been very successful management of debt levels. Although the company had a strong debt-to-equity ratio, its quick ratio of 0.90 is somewhat weak and could be cause for future problems.
- ROYAL DUTCH SHELL PLC' earnings per share from the most recent quarter came in slightly below the year earlier quarter. The company has reported a trend of declining earnings per share over the past two years. However, the consensus estimate suggests that this trend should reverse in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, ROYAL DUTCH SHELL PLC reported lower earnings of $4.70 versus $5.18 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($7.06 versus $4.70).
- Reflecting the weaknesses we have cited, including the decline in the company's earnings per share, RDS.B has underperformed the S&P 500 Index, declining 23.70% from its price level of one year ago. The fact that the stock is now selling for less than others in its industry in relation to its current earnings is not reason enough to justify a buy rating at this time.
- Net operating cash flow has decreased to $7,106.00 million or 49.18% when compared to the same quarter last year. In conjunction, when comparing current results to the industry average, ROYAL DUTCH SHELL PLC has marginally lower results.
- You can view the full Royal Dutch Shell Ratings Report.
- Our dividend calendar.