NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of Wynn Resorts (WYNN) rose 3.74% to $116.92 in afternoon trading Monday after peer company MGM Resorts International (MGM) reported a significant first-quarter earnings beat.
MGM's earnings per share rose 50% to 33 cents, which easily beat the consensus estimate of 13 cents a share. The earnings grew thanks to strong performance at the company's Las Vegas properties.
But revenue declined 11.3% to $2.33 billion, down from $2.63 billion in the same period one year earlier, and below analysts' expectations of $2.4 billion.
Macau, the world's top gambling location, continued to be a problem for MGM, as the Chinese government continues to crack down on corruption in the area. MGM China revenue fell 33% year-over-year to $630 million.
More than 3.6 million shares had changed hands as of 2:54 p.m., compared to the daily average volume of 2,490,200.
Insight from TheStreet's Research Team
Jim Cramer commented on Wynn Resorts in a recent post on Real Money. Here's what Cramer had to say about the stock:
Then there is the "worst may be over" portion of the market. I see three of these: the casinos where Wynn's vaulting gigantically on a 38% decrease in Macau gambling, which, as ugly as that is, was indeed expected. There's the bounce-back in hyper-growth infotainment king Harman (HAR), which had a convoluted quarter, heavily hurt by a strong dollar, but I thought was well explained in an appearance by the CEO, Dinesh Paliwal, on last week's Mad Money.
Want more information like this from Jim Cramer BEFORE your stock moves? Learn more about Real Money now!
Separately, TheStreet Ratings team rates WYNN RESORTS LTD as a Hold with a ratings score of C. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate WYNN RESORTS LTD (WYNN) a HOLD. The primary factors that have impacted our rating are mixed - some indicating strength, some showing weaknesses, with little evidence to justify the expectation of either a positive or negative performance for this stock relative to most other stocks. Among the primary strengths of the company is its expanding profit margins over time. At the same time, however, we also find weaknesses including deteriorating net income, feeble growth in the company's earnings per share and a generally disappointing performance in the stock itself."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- WYNN, with its decline in revenue, underperformed when compared the industry average of 7.0%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues fell by 27.8%. Weakness in the company's revenue seems to have hurt the bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- 37.98% is the gross profit margin for WYNN RESORTS LTD which we consider to be strong. Regardless of WYNN's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, WYNN's net profit margin of -4.08% significantly underperformed when compared to the industry average.
- Despite any intermediate fluctuations, we have only bad news to report on this stock's performance over the last year: it has tumbled by 45.53%, worse than the S&P 500's performance. Consistent with the plunge in the stock price, the company's earnings per share are down 119.81% compared to the year-earlier quarter. Naturally, the overall market trend is bound to be a significant factor. However, in one sense, the stock's sharp decline last year is a positive for future investors, making it cheaper (in proportion to its earnings over the past year) than most other stocks in its industry. But due to other concerns, we feel the stock is still not a good buy right now.
- WYNN RESORTS LTD has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. Stable earnings per share over the past year indicate the company has managed its earnings and share float. We anticipate this stability to falter in the coming year and, in turn, the company to deliver lower earnings per share than prior full year. During the past fiscal year, WYNN RESORTS LTD's EPS of $7.17 remained unchanged from the prior years' EPS of $7.17. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 41.5% in earnings ($4.20 versus $7.17).
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Hotels, Restaurants & Leisure industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 119.7% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $226.90 million to -$44.60 million.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: WYNN Ratings Report