While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends which could subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 3 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Hold."Arlington Asset Investment Dividend Yield: 16.10% Arlington Asset Investment (NYSE: AI) shares currently have a dividend yield of 16.10%. Arlington Asset Investment Corp., an investment firm, acquires mortgage-related and other assets. The company has a P/E ratio of 28.16. The average volume for Arlington Asset Investment has been 360,900 shares per day over the past 30 days. Arlington Asset Investment has a market cap of $495.6 million and is part of the real estate industry. Shares are down 18.9% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Friday. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: See inside Jim Cramer's multi-million dollar charitable trust portfolio to see the stocks he thinks could be potential winners. Click here to see his holdings for 14-days FREE. TheStreet Ratings rates Arlington Asset Investment as a hold. Among the primary strengths of the company is its expanding profit margins over time. At the same time, however, we also find weaknesses including deteriorating net income, disappointing return on equity and a generally disappointing performance in the stock itself. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The gross profit margin for ARLINGTON ASSET INVESTMENT is currently very high, coming in at 114.77%. It has increased significantly from the same period last year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 188.29% significantly outperformed against the industry average.
- AI, with its very weak revenue results, has greatly underperformed against the industry average of 4.4%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues plummeted by 224.8%. Weakness in the company's revenue seems to have hurt the bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- ARLINGTON ASSET INVESTMENT has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. The company has reported a trend of declining earnings per share over the past two years. However, the consensus estimate suggests that this trend should reverse in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, ARLINGTON ASSET INVESTMENT reported lower earnings of $0.53 versus $2.96 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($5.20 versus $0.53).
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Capital Markets industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 699.8% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $7.03 million to -$42.19 million.
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Capital Markets industry and the overall market, ARLINGTON ASSET INVESTMENT's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- You can view the full Arlington Asset Investment Ratings Report.
- The company, on the basis of net income growth from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly outperformed against the S&P 500 and exceeded that of the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) industry average. The net income increased by 45.2% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $4.78 million to $6.94 million.
- Despite its growing revenue, the company underperformed as compared with the industry average of 9.8%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 2.8%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- The gross profit margin for ARBOR REALTY TRUST INC is rather high; currently it is at 54.88%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Regardless of the strong results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 21.06% trails the industry average.
- ARBOR REALTY TRUST INC has improved earnings per share by 42.9% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. However, we anticipate underperformance relative to this pattern in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, ARBOR REALTY TRUST INC increased its bottom line by earning $1.71 versus $0.41 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 71.6% in earnings ($0.49 versus $1.71).
- In its most recent trading session, ABR has closed at a price level that was not very different from its closing price of one year earlier. This is probably due to its weak earnings growth as well as other mixed factors. The fact that the stock is now selling for less than others in its industry in relation to its current earnings is not reason enough to justify a buy rating at this time.
- You can view the full Arbor Realty Ratings Report.
- TKC's debt-to-equity ratio is very low at 0.22 and is currently below that of the industry average, implying that there has been very successful management of debt levels. Along with this, the company maintains a quick ratio of 2.57, which clearly demonstrates the ability to cover short-term cash needs.
- 48.91% is the gross profit margin for TURKCELL ILETISIM HIZMET which we consider to be strong. Regardless of TKC's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 8.45% trails the industry average.
- TURKCELL ILETISIM HIZMET has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. Earnings per share have declined over the last two years. We anticipate that this should continue in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, TURKCELL ILETISIM HIZMET reported lower earnings of $0.98 versus $1.40 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 4.1% in earnings ($0.94 versus $0.98).
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Wireless Telecommunication Services industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 53.7% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $253.99 million to $117.53 million.
- You can view the full Turkcell Iletisim Hizmetleri AS Ratings Report.
- Our dividend calendar.