While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends which could subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 3 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Hold." Physicians Realty Dividend Yield: 5.30% Physicians Realty (NYSE: DOC) shares currently have a dividend yield of 5.30%. Physicians Realty Trust, a self-managed healthcare real estate company, focuses on the acquisition, development, ownership, and management of healthcare properties that are leased to physicians, hospitals, and healthcare delivery systems. The average volume for Physicians Realty has been 593,300 shares per day over the past 30 days. Physicians Realty has a market cap of $1.2 billion and is part of the real estate industry. Shares are up 2.4% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Thursday. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: See inside Jim Cramer's multi-million dollar charitable trust portfolio to see the stocks he thinks could be potential winners. Click here to see his holdings for 14-days FREE. TheStreet Ratings rates Physicians Realty as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, solid stock price performance and increase in net income. However, as a counter to these strengths, we find that the company's profit margins have been poor overall. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- DOC's very impressive revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 9.4%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues leaped by 205.5%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- Powered by its strong earnings growth of 200.00% and other important driving factors, this stock has surged by 31.53% over the past year, outperforming the rise in the S&P 500 Index during the same period. Regarding the stock's future course, our hold rating indicates that we do not recommend additional investment in this stock despite its gains in the past year.
- PHYSICIANS REALTY TR reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, PHYSICIANS REALTY TR reported poor results of -$0.19 versus -$0.11 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($0.36 versus -$0.19).
- Compared to other companies in the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) industry and the overall market, PHYSICIANS REALTY TR's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The gross profit margin for PHYSICIANS REALTY TR is rather low; currently it is at 20.45%. Despite the low profit margin, it has increased significantly from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, DOC's net profit margin of 8.68% is significantly lower than the industry average.
- You can view the full Physicians Realty Ratings Report.