While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends which could subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 3 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Hold."Wynn Resorts Dividend Yield: 4.70% Wynn Resorts (NASDAQ: WYNN) shares currently have a dividend yield of 4.70%. Wynn Resorts, Limited, together with its subsidiaries, develops, owns, and operates destination casino resorts. It operates in two segments, Macau Operations and Las Vegas Operations. The company operates Wynn Macau and Encore at Wynn Macau resort located in the People's Republic of China. The company has a P/E ratio of 17.94. The average volume for Wynn Resorts has been 2,168,800 shares per day over the past 30 days. Wynn Resorts has a market cap of $13.1 billion and is part of the leisure industry. Shares are down 13.4% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Tuesday. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: See inside Jim Cramer's multi-million dollar charitable trust portfolio to see the stocks he thinks could be potential winners. Click here to see his holdings for 14-days FREE. TheStreet Ratings rates Wynn Resorts as a hold. Among the primary strengths of the company is its expanding profit margins over time. At the same time, however, we also find weaknesses including unimpressive growth in net income, feeble growth in the company's earnings per share and a generally disappointing performance in the stock itself. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- 38.51% is the gross profit margin for WYNN RESORTS LTD which we consider to be strong. Regardless of WYNN's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 9.60% trails the industry average.
- WYNN, with its decline in revenue, underperformed when compared the industry average of 7.9%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues fell by 25.1%. Weakness in the company's revenue seems to have hurt the bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to $124.19 million or 68.58% when compared to the same quarter last year. Despite a decrease in cash flow of 68.58%, WYNN RESORTS LTD is in line with the industry average cash flow growth rate of -74.97%.
- WYNN RESORTS LTD's earnings per share declined by 49.0% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. Stable earnings per share over the past year indicate the company has managed its earnings and share float. We anticipate this stability to falter in the coming year and, in turn, the company to deliver lower earnings per share than prior full year. During the past fiscal year, WYNN RESORTS LTD's EPS of $7.17 remained unchanged from the prior years' EPS of $7.17. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 19.9% in earnings ($5.75 versus $7.17).
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Hotels, Restaurants & Leisure industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 48.9% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $213.88 million to $109.35 million.
- You can view the full Wynn Resorts Ratings Report.
- The revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 20.3%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 45.6%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- NAT's debt-to-equity ratio is very low at 0.28 and is currently below that of the industry average, implying that there has been very successful management of debt levels. Along with this, the company maintains a quick ratio of 6.11, which clearly demonstrates the ability to cover short-term cash needs.
- The company's current return on equity greatly increased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of significant strength within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry and the overall market, NORDIC AMERICAN TANKERS LTD's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The gross profit margin for NORDIC AMERICAN TANKERS LTD is currently lower than what is desirable, coming in at 28.28%. Despite the low profit margin, it has increased significantly from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of -1.62% trails the industry average.
- You can view the full Nordic American Tankers Ratings Report.
- The gross profit margin for CANADIAN IMPERIAL BANK is currently very high, coming in at 76.75%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 20.76% is above that of the industry average.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly increased by 151.63% to $2,683.00 million when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, CANADIAN IMPERIAL BANK has also vastly surpassed the industry average cash flow growth rate of -73.52%.
- CM, with its decline in revenue, slightly underperformed the industry average of 0.4%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 2.6%. Weakness in the company's revenue seems to have hurt the bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- CANADIAN IMPERIAL BANK's earnings per share declined by 20.8% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has suffered a declining pattern earnings per share over the past two years. During the past fiscal year, CANADIAN IMPERIAL BANK reported lower earnings of $7.85 versus $8.12 in the prior year.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and greatly underperformed compared to the Commercial Banks industry average. The net income has decreased by 21.6% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, dropping from $1,174.00 million to $920.00 million.
- You can view the full Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce Ratings Report.
- Our dividend calendar.