- ARIA has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $53.2 million.
- ARIA has traded 2.0 million shares today.
- ARIA is trading at 4.77 times the normal volume for the stock at this time of day.
- ARIA is trading at a new high 5.02% above yesterday's close.
'Strong on High Relative Volume' stocks are worth watching because major volume moves tend to indicate underlying activity such as M&A events, material stock news, analyst upgrades, insider buying, buying from 'superinvestors,' or that hedge funds and momentum traders are piling into a stock ahead of a catalyst. Regardless of the impetus behind the price and volume action, when a stock moves with strength and volume it can indicate the start of a new trend on which early investors can capitalize. In the event of a well-timed trading opportunity, combining technical indicators with fundamental trends and a disciplined trading methodology should help you take the first steps towards investment success. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in ARIA with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for ARIA NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on ARIA: ARIAD Pharmaceuticals, Inc., an oncology company, engages in the discovery, development, and commercialization of medicines for cancer patients. Currently there are 4 analysts that rate ARIAD Pharmaceuticals a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 4 rate it a hold. The average volume for ARIAD Pharmaceuticals has been 6.2 million shares per day over the past 30 days. ARIAD has a market cap of $1.7 billion and is part of the health care sector and drugs industry. The stock has a beta of 1.17 and a short float of 27.2% with 8.08 days to cover. Shares are up 31.7% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Tuesday. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: See inside Jim Cramer's multi-million dollar charitable trust portfolio to see the stocks he thinks could be potential winners. Click here to see his holdings for 14-days FREE. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates ARIAD Pharmaceuticals as a sell. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its disappointing return on equity and generally high debt management risk. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Biotechnology industry and the overall market, ARIAD PHARMACEUTICALS INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- Currently the debt-to-equity ratio of 1.94 is quite high overall and when compared to the industry average, suggesting that the current management of debt levels should be re-evaluated. Despite the company's weak debt-to-equity ratio, the company has managed to keep a very strong quick ratio of 4.01, which shows the ability to cover short-term cash needs.
- The company, on the basis of net income growth from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed compared to the Biotechnology industry average, but is greater than that of the S&P 500. The net income increased by 92.2% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from -$74.16 million to -$5.75 million.
- ARIAD PHARMACEUTICALS INC reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. However, we anticipate underperformance relative to this pattern in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, ARIAD PHARMACEUTICALS INC continued to lose money by earning -$0.87 versus -$1.49 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 18.4% in earnings (-$1.03 versus -$0.87).
- This stock has increased by 28.26% over the past year, outperforming the rise in the S&P 500 Index during the same period. Regarding the future course of this stock, we feel that the risks involved in investing in ARIA do not compensate for any future upside potential, despite the fact that it has seen nice gains over the past 12 months.
- You can view the full ARIAD Pharmaceuticals Ratings Report.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: See inside Jim Cramer's multi-million dollar charitable trust portfolio to see the stocks he thinks could be potential winners. Click here to see his holdings for 14-days FREE.