While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends which could subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 3 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Hold."World Point Terminals Dividend Yield: 7.10% World Point Terminals (NYSE: WPT) shares currently have a dividend yield of 7.10%. World Point Terminals, LP owns, operates, develops, and acquires terminals and other assets for the storage of light refined products, heavy refined products, and crude oil in the East Coast, Gulf Coast, and Midwest regions of the United States. The company has a P/E ratio of 17.33. The average volume for World Point Terminals has been 40,100 shares per day over the past 30 days. World Point Terminals has a market cap of $312.0 million and is part of the energy industry. Shares are down 17.1% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Wednesday. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: See inside Jim Cramer's multi-million dollar charitable trust portfolio to see the stocks he thinks could be potential winners. Click here to see his holdings for 14-days FREE. TheStreet Ratings rates World Point Terminals as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures and notable return on equity. However, as a counter to these strengths, we find that the stock has had a generally disappointing performance in the past year. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 20.3%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 7.7%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- WPT has no debt to speak of therefore resulting in a debt-to-equity ratio of zero, which we consider to be a relatively favorable sign. Along with this, the company maintains a quick ratio of 3.28, which clearly demonstrates the ability to cover short-term cash needs.
- The gross profit margin for WORLD POINT TERMINALS is rather high; currently it is at 67.98%. Regardless of WPT's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, WPT's net profit margin of 36.86% significantly outperformed against the industry.
- WPT has underperformed the S&P 500 Index, declining 22.76% from its price level of one year ago. Turning toward the future, the fact that the stock has come down in price over the past year should not necessarily be interpreted as a negative; it could be one of the factors that may help make the stock attractive down the road. Right now, however, we believe that it is too soon to buy.
- You can view the full World Point Terminals Ratings Report.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Gas Utilities industry. The net income increased by 41.3% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $60.46 million to $85.46 million.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly increased by 192.62% to $33.11 million when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, FERRELLGAS PARTNERS -LP has also vastly surpassed the industry average cash flow growth rate of -56.45%.
- FERRELLGAS PARTNERS -LP has improved earnings per share by 23.6% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, FERRELLGAS PARTNERS -LP reported lower earnings of $0.40 versus $0.68 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.09 versus $0.40).
- The gross profit margin for FERRELLGAS PARTNERS -LP is rather low; currently it is at 23.02%. Regardless of FGP's low profit margin, it has managed to increase from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, FGP's net profit margin of 12.83% compares favorably to the industry average.
- In its most recent trading session, FGP has closed at a price level that was not very different from its closing price of one year earlier. This is probably due to its weak earnings growth as well as other mixed factors. Looking ahead, we do not see anything in this company's numbers that would change the one-year trend. It was down over the last twelve months; and it could be down again in the next twelve. Naturally, a bull or bear market could sway the movement of this stock.
- You can view the full Ferrellgas Partners Ratings Report.
- TKC's debt-to-equity ratio is very low at 0.22 and is currently below that of the industry average, implying that there has been very successful management of debt levels. Along with this, the company maintains a quick ratio of 2.57, which clearly demonstrates the ability to cover short-term cash needs.
- 48.91% is the gross profit margin for TURKCELL ILETISIM HIZMET which we consider to be strong. Regardless of TKC's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 8.45% trails the industry average.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Wireless Telecommunication Services industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 53.7% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $253.99 million to $117.53 million.
- Net operating cash flow has decreased to $343.17 million or 23.52% when compared to the same quarter last year. In conjunction, when comparing current results to the industry average, TURKCELL ILETISIM HIZMET has marginally lower results.
- You can view the full Turkcell Iletisim Hizmetleri AS Ratings Report.
- Our dividend calendar.