- PKG has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $50.5 million.
- PKG has traded 4.4 million shares today.
- PKG traded in a range 254.1% of the normal price range with a price range of $3.26.
- PKG traded below its daily resistance level (quality: 173 days, meaning that the stock is crossing a resistance level set by the last 173 calendar days. The resistance price is defined by the Price - $0.01 at the time of the signal).
Stocks matching the 'Water-Logged and Getting Wetter' criteria are worthwhile stocks to watch for a variety of factors including historical back testing and volatility. Trade-Ideas targets these opportunities because the stock is exhibiting an unusual behavior while displaying negative price action. In this case, the stock crossed an important inflection point; namely, "support" while at the same time the range of the stock's movement in price is twice its normal size. This large range foreshadows a possible continuation as the stock moves lower. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in PKG with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for PKG NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on PKG: Packaging Corporation of America manufactures and sells containerboard and corrugated packaging products in the United States, Europe, Mexico, and Canada. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 2.9%. PKG has a PE ratio of 19.2. Currently there are 6 analysts that rate Packaging Corp of America a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 5 rate it a hold. The average volume for Packaging Corp of America has been 912,900 shares per day over the past 30 days. Packaging Corp of America has a market cap of $7.5 billion and is part of the consumer goods sector and consumer non-durables industry. The stock has a beta of 1.45 and a short float of 1.5% with 2.01 days to cover. Shares are down 1.3% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Monday. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: See inside Jim Cramer's multi-million dollar charitable trust portfolio to see the stocks he thinks could be potential winners. Click here to see his holdings for 14-days FREE. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Packaging Corp of America as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, solid stock price performance, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures and notable return on equity. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had sub par growth in net income. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- PKG's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 4.4%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 13.4%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- Compared to where it was a year ago today, the stock is now trading at a higher level, regardless of the company's weak earnings results. Turning our attention to the future direction of the stock, it goes without saying that even the best stocks can fall in an overall down market. However, in any other environment, this stock still has good upside potential despite the fact that it has already risen in the past year.
- PACKAGING CORP OF AMERICA has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. The company has suffered a declining pattern of earnings per share over the past year. However, we anticipate this trend reversing over the coming year. During the past fiscal year, PACKAGING CORP OF AMERICA reported lower earnings of $3.99 versus $4.53 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($4.95 versus $3.99).
- Despite the current debt-to-equity ratio of 1.56, it is still below the industry average, suggesting that this level of debt is acceptable within the Containers & Packaging industry. Regardless of the somewhat mixed results with the debt-to-equity ratio, the company's quick ratio of 1.27 is sturdy.
- Current return on equity is lower than its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a clear sign of weakness within the company. When compared to other companies in the Containers & Packaging industry and the overall market, PACKAGING CORP OF AMERICA's return on equity exceeds that of the industry average and significantly exceeds that of the S&P 500.
- You can view the full Packaging Corp of America Ratings Report.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: See inside Jim Cramer's multi-million dollar charitable trust portfolio to see the stocks he thinks could be potential winners. Click here to see his holdings for 14-days FREE.