While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends which could subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 3 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Buy."TAL International Group Dividend Yield: 6.90% TAL International Group (NYSE: TAL) shares currently have a dividend yield of 6.90%. TAL International Group, Inc., together with its subsidiaries, leases intermodal transportation equipment and provides maritime container management services worldwide. The company operates in two segments, Equipment Leasing and Equipment Trading. The company has a P/E ratio of 11.35. The average volume for TAL International Group has been 245,200 shares per day over the past 30 days. TAL International Group has a market cap of $1.4 billion and is part of the diversified services industry. Shares are down 4.7% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Thursday. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: See inside Jim Cramer's multi-million dollar charitable trust portfolio to see the stocks he thinks could be potential winners. Click here to see his holdings for 14-days FREE. TheStreet Ratings rates TAL International Group as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth and expanding profit margins. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had sub par growth in net income. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- Despite its growing revenue, the company underperformed as compared with the industry average of 9.0%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 5.8%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- The gross profit margin for TAL INTERNATIONAL GROUP INC is currently very high, coming in at 89.34%. Regardless of TAL's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, TAL's net profit margin of 19.38% significantly outperformed against the industry.
- The company's current return on equity has slightly decreased from the same quarter one year prior. This implies a minor weakness in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Trading Companies & Distributors industry and the overall market on the basis of return on equity, TAL INTERNATIONAL GROUP INC has underperformed in comparison with the industry average, but has exceeded that of the S&P 500.
- Reflecting the weaknesses we have cited, including the decline in the company's earnings per share, TAL has underperformed the S&P 500 Index, declining 5.53% from its price level of one year ago. Looking ahead, although the push and pull of the overall market trend could certainly make a critical difference, we do not see any strong reason stemming from the company's fundamentals that would cause a continuation of last year's decline. In fact, the stock is now selling for less than others in its industry in relation to its current earnings.
- TAL INTERNATIONAL GROUP INC' earnings per share from the most recent quarter came in slightly below the year earlier quarter. Earnings per share have declined over the last two years. We anticipate that this should continue in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, TAL INTERNATIONAL GROUP INC reported lower earnings of $3.69 versus $4.25 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 0.3% in earnings ($3.68 versus $3.69).
- You can view the full TAL International Group Ratings Report.
- The revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 9.9%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 48.5%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- Compared to its closing price of one year ago, CLDT's share price has jumped by 42.94%, exceeding the performance of the broader market during that same time frame. Turning to the future, naturally, any stock can fall in a major bear market. However, in almost any other environment, the stock should continue to move higher despite the fact that it has already enjoyed nice gains in the past year.
- Net operating cash flow has increased to $11.77 million or 22.38% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, CHATHAM LODGING TRUST has also modestly surpassed the industry average cash flow growth rate of 12.61%.
- The company's current return on equity greatly increased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of significant strength within the corporation. When compared to other companies in the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) industry and the overall market, CHATHAM LODGING TRUST's return on equity is below that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- You can view the full Chatham Lodging Ratings Report.
- MIC's very impressive revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 24.3%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues leaped by 55.5%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displaying stagnant earnings per share.
- Compared to its closing price of one year ago, MIC's share price has jumped by 43.75%, exceeding the performance of the broader market during that same time frame. Turning to the future, naturally, any stock can fall in a major bear market. However, in almost any other environment, the stock should continue to move higher despite the fact that it has already enjoyed nice gains in the past year.
- The company's current return on equity greatly increased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of significant strength within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Transportation Infrastructure industry and the overall market, MACQUARIE INFRASTRUCT CO LLC's return on equity significantly exceeds that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Transportation Infrastructure industry. The net income increased by 32.5% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $15.82 million to $20.97 million.
- You can view the full Macquarie Infrastructure Ratings Report.
- Our dividend calendar.